Ignorance is bliss they say

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

rozrokz

Ignorance is bliss they say

Post by rozrokz » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:02 am

or is it?
Comments and debates welcome.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Heheheh find the big cannons....here is my view on it.

I can understand Ignorance if the government of the country don't fight illiteracy.
This gives good soil for extremist to harvest members and the masses is "easy" to lead due to little knowledge...they have to accept the meaning given to them by a "popular" speaker and has no means to establish their own opinion about the subject due to illiteracy.

If your government provide you freely with education...and there is no limitation in the information flow...then it is almost a crime to to show Ignorance in those subject you want to attend or discuss.
This is also shown in the law.....you can not get free from any action you have done by calling yourself ignorant in the field....because if you was....you should not have attended, you have an obligation to collect the needed information.

Then we have the convenient ignorance.....we don't want to know....because if we know...then it hurt.....but in the end it will hurt anyway.

We all have an ignorance in 1 or more fields....and we all want to attend discussions in such fields more then once.....then it is important that we are open for that informations that is given and accept that fact that we have much to learn and that we move our borders all the time, but again...don't take a single word for it...seek information! :)

So in my opinion  NO Ignorance are more a crime then a bliss!

rozrokz

Post by rozrokz » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:21 am

Rhutobello wrote:Heheheh find the big cannons....here is my view on it.

I can understand Ignorance if the government of the country don't fight illiteracy.
This gives good soil for extremist to harvest members and the masses is "easy" to lead due to little knowledge...they have to accept the meaning given to them by a "popular" speaker and has no means to establish their own opinion about the subject due to illiteracy. Yes sounds very much like what the communist govt were doing. But humans are born with the thirst for knowledge (well some of us anyway.LOL) and there will always be people questioning everything so as you can see the marxist ideal is falling apart. It will be great if North Korea disarm as well.

If your government provide you freely with education...and there is no limitation in the information flow...then it is almost a crime to to show Ignorance in those subject you want to attend or discuss.
This is also shown in the law.....you can not get free from any action you have done by calling yourself ignorant in the field....because if you was....you should not have attended, you have an obligation to collect the needed information.

Then we have the convenient ignorance.....we don't want to know....because if we know...then it hurt.....but in the end it will hurt anyway. Ditto- It always comes back to bite you BIG in the end.

We all have an ignorance in 1 or more fields....and we all want to attend discussions in such fields more then once.....then it is important that we are open for that informations that is given and accept that fact that we have much to learn and that we move our borders all the time, but again...don't take a single word for it...seek information! :) Sounds like what is happening here on MB but unfortunately, some forummers try to force their opinions down others throat and think that others are wrong while they are right :smt018 . Major turn off. There is never a complete right or wrong. Everything comes in shades of grey.
So in my opinion  NO Ignorance are more a crime then a bliss!
Thank you Grandpa Rhuto for your feedback. Of course there might be others who would disagree but that is the fun of it, isn't it. I like a good cat fight sometimes (minus the scratches of course :smt002 )

theancient_dr

Post by theancient_dr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Greetings all----

could it be that only the ignorant say that?

hmmmmmmmmmm

as to government----please do not give ignorance a bad name

ignorance = The lack of knowledge or education
stupidity = A poor ability to understand or to profit from experience

I submit to you that  government seems stupid

love to all---poppa

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:58 am

Poppa dear!

We all love to bitch and whine about government and how stupid and inefficient it is and how stupid and inept our leaders are and our mayors are and on and on and on!

Assuming that most of us disgruntled posters live in developed countries with many a freedoms and real democracy, here is one STUPID question this naive gentleman from a third world country transplanted by personal choice for more than half of his lifetime into a modern developed western country asks!

WHO WAS IT THAT CHOSE, VOTED FOR AND INSTALLED THE CURRENT INEPT AND INEFFICIENT NINCOMPOOP GOVERNMENT, THAT IS THE VILLAIN OF THE PIECE, ALWAYS?

AND THE ONE BEFORE THIS ONE, AND  THE ONE BEFORE THAT ...?"

Warmest regards and HAPPY awakenings ;-)

Rohiniranjan

[quote="theancient_dr"]Greetings all----

could it be that only the ignorant say that?

hmmmmmmmmmm

as to government----please do not give ignorance a bad name

ignorance = The lack of knowledge or education
stupidity = A poor ability to understand or to profit from experience

I submit to you that  government seems stupid

love to all---poppa[/quote]

Return to “Philosophy”