Ignorance ,Maya & God

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

dattaswami

Ignorance ,Maya & God

Post by dattaswami » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:15 am

Ignorance ,Maya & God
Maya is not ignorance, though it is used in that sense, if you analyze its root meaning. It is the unimaginability, which means that the ignorance here can never be removed. God can never be understood and so the ignorance about God is Maya. Avidya means the ignorance that can be removed. Ignorance of physics can be removed by special effort. Avidya relates to the self. By effort the self-ignorance can be removed. But the ignorance of God is Maya, which can never be removed by any effort as God is unimaginable. The Gita says that He can never be understood (Man…). The Veda says that the soul can be understood by sharp analysis (Drusyate tu…). Liberation comes by self-realization, which gives peace but not bliss.

(Samah karanam…the Gita) (Eshahyeva Anandayati… the Veda). Peace is zero and bliss is plus. Any one of these two can remove the misery, which is minus. But there is easy tendency for the zero to become minus. Therefore, the self-analysis achieved by your logical ladder can drop to misery (Savikalpa Samadhi). But if the same self-realization is granted by the Lord, it is eternal (Nirvikalpa). Shankara told that the grace of the Lord can alone bring the real self-realization (Esvaraanugrahaadeva…). Such grace of Lord comes by devotion, which is generated and strengthened by knowledge and which can be proved only in terms of practical service as seen in the case of your family. Shankara gives the top importance to devotion (Bhaktireva…). The Gita also says that God is achieved only by devotion (Bhaktyaatvananyayaa…).

The Gita also says that the devotion is proved by selfless service to God, which is called as Nishkama karma yoga.

Rohiniranjan

Re: Ignorance ,Maya & God

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:14 am

[quote="dattaswami"][color=blue][b]Ignorance ,Maya & God[/b][/color]
Maya is not ignorance, though it is used in that sense, if you analyze its root meaning. It is the unimaginability, which means that the ignorance here can never be removed. God can never be understood and so the ignorance about God is Maya. Avidya means the ignorance that can be removed. Ignorance of physics can be removed by special effort. Avidya relates to the self. By effort the self-ignorance can be removed. But the ignorance of God is Maya, which can never be removed by any effort as God is unimaginable. The Gita says that He can never be understood (Man…). The Veda says that the soul can be understood by sharp analysis (Drusyate tu…). Liberation comes by self-realization, which gives peace but not bliss.

(Samah karanam…the Gita) (Eshahyeva Anandayati… the Veda). Peace is zero and bliss is plus. Any one of these two can remove the misery, which is minus. But there is easy tendency for the zero to become minus. Therefore, the self-analysis achieved by your logical ladder can drop to misery (Savikalpa Samadhi). But if the same self-realization is granted by the Lord, it is eternal (Nirvikalpa). Shankara told that the grace of the Lord can alone bring the real self-realization (Esvaraanugrahaadeva…). Such grace of Lord comes by devotion, which is generated and strengthened by knowledge and which can be proved only in terms of practical service as seen in the case of your family. Shankara gives the top importance to devotion (Bhaktireva…). The Gita also says that God is achieved only by devotion (Bhaktyaatvananyayaa…).

The Gita also says that the devotion is proved by selfless service to God, which is called as Nishkama karma yoga.[/quote]

Please describe definitively what God is! In modern relevant terms that all can understand. And if we cannot understand God why do we even talk about Him/Her/It? Because it would be like kids in some daycare trying to solve the crisis in Afghanistan!

stan

Re: Ignorance ,Maya & God

Post by stan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:27 am

dattaswami wrote:Ignorance ,Maya & God

The Gita also says that the devotion is proved by selfless service to God, which is called as Nishkama karma yoga.[/quote)

Does God show preferential treatment in His choosing? Is devotion the key to compel God to do our bidding?

Rohiniranjan

HELL NO!

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:35 am

Just to get the temperature and smell of sulphur down a bit here, if I may ;-)

Read something interesting today:

In the beginning God Created heaven and the earth.
Quickly he was faced with a class action suit for
failure to file an environmental impact statement. He
was granted a temporary permit for the project, but
was stymied with the Cease and Desist order for the
earthly part.

Appearing at the hearing, God was asked why he began
his earthly project in the first place. He replied
that he just liked to be creative.

Then God said, "Let there be light." Officials
immediately demanded to know how the light would be
made. Would there be strip mining? What about thermal
pollution? God explained that the light would come
from
a huge ball of fire. God was granted provisional
permission to make light, assuming that no smoke would
result from the ball of fire, that he would obtain a
building permit, and (to conserve energy) would have
the light out half the time. God agreed and said he
would call the light "Day" and the darkness "Night."
Officials replied that they were not interested in
semantics.

God said, "Let the earth bring forth green herb and
such as manyseed." The EPA agreed so long as native
seed was used. Then God said, "Let waters bring forth
creeping creatures having life; and the fowl that
may fly over the earth." Officials pointed out this
would require approval from the Department of Game
coordinated with the Heavenly Wildlife Federation and
the Audubongelic Society.

Everything was OK until God said he wanted to complete
the project in six days. Officials informed him it
would take at least 200 days to review the application
and the environmental impact statement. After that
there would be a public hearing. Then there would be
10-12 months before...

At this point God created Hell!

stan

Re: HELL NO!

Post by stan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:45 am

rohiniranjan wrote:Just to get the temperature and smell of sulphur down a bit here, if I may ;-)

Read something interesting today:

In the beginning God Created heaven and the earth.
Quickly he was faced with a class action suit for
failure to file an environmental impact statement. He
was granted a temporary permit for the project, but
was stymied with the Cease and Desist order for the
earthly part.

Appearing at the hearing, God was asked why he began
his earthly project in the first place. He replied
that he just liked to be creative.

Then God said, "Let there be light." Officials
immediately demanded to know how the light would be
made. Would there be strip mining? What about thermal
pollution? God explained that the light would come
from
a huge ball of fire. God was granted provisional
permission to make light, assuming that no smoke would
result from the ball of fire, that he would obtain a
building permit, and (to conserve energy) would have
the light out half the time. God agreed and said he
would call the light "Day" and the darkness "Night."
Officials replied that they were not interested in
semantics.

God said, "Let the earth bring forth green herb and
such as manyseed." The EPA agreed so long as native
seed was used. Then God said, "Let waters bring forth
creeping creatures having life; and the fowl that
may fly over the earth." Officials pointed out this
would require approval from the Department of Game
coordinated with the Heavenly Wildlife Federation and
the Audubongelic Society.

Everything was OK until God said he wanted to complete
the project in six days. Officials informed him it
would take at least 200 days to review the application
and the environmental impact statement. After that
there would be a public hearing. Then there would be
10-12 months before...

At this point God created Hell!

But of course He had to get your designs  :smt006 Good message

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:52 am

[quote="stan"]
But of course He had to get your designs  :smt006 Good message[/quote]

My DeiSigns SaTAN?

And all this while I thought I was following YOUR template approved by the Forum owners here (what a waste of my time!) :-(

stan

Post by stan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:03 am

See, there you go again - Thinking again. (smile) My job is simply to bring out all that so called love with the people I meet.  :smt007

stan

Post by stan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:32 am

rohiniranjan wrote:
stan wrote: But of course He had to get your designs  :smt006 Good message
My DeiSigns SaTAN?

And all this while I thought I was following YOUR template approved by the Forum owners here (what a waste of my time!) :-(
That was the original problem, some thought of it as My. Apparently your one of the cry babies who lost his MY. The Forum owners have done an outstanding job, considering, and they are open to any change that would really get people to speak from the heart, instead of just the head. If your telling me I've spanked you enough just say give.  :smt003

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:09 am

[quote="stan"][quote="rohiniranjan"][quote="stan"]
But of course He had to get your designs  :smt006 Good message[/quote]

My DeiSigns SaTAN?

And all this while I thought I was following YOUR template approved by the Forum owners here (what a waste of my time!) :-([/quote]

That was the original problem, some thought of it as My. Apparently your one of the cry babies who lost his MY. The Forum owners have done an outstanding job, considering, and they are open to any change that would really get people to speak from the heart, instead of just the head. If your telling me I've spanked you enough just say give.  :smt003[/quote]

When we (generic!) choose to label what we decide to call head in others, when we were expecting to listen to the heart, we sometimes miss the point! As you typically do SaTAN! For while you are pretending to be reading and listening to others, you are really listening to your already in PLAY mode inner track programmed in you for this lifetime ;-)

When a doctor is holding a patient closely while trying to hear his heart in order to let the (doctor's) brain decipher the sounds of the (patient's) heart in order to identify the type of heart rhythm or lack thereof in order to understand, know and then diagnose and treat the condition ...

The three are working together and often in unision!

The Doctor's concerned body touching the patient motivated by the heart and allowing the genunine concern to flow through that touch

The Doctor's concerned brain trying to figure out cerebrally the problem the patterns the diagnosis and all that ALL through a sense of personal responsibility to the Hippocratic Oath!

The Patient's full spiritual trust in the process with full trust and full submission knowing that the best that can happen to him is already promissed!

Some call it the Trident, the Trines, The Trilogy, The harmonious balance between the TRIMURTI that leads to a balance between Head, Heart and Soul -- and equilateral triangle in its ideal state!

stan

Post by stan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 am

rohiniranjan wrote:
stan wrote:
rohiniranjan wrote:
stan wrote: But of course He had to get your designs  :smt006 Good message
My DeiSigns SaTAN?

That was the original problem, some thought of it as My. Apparently your one of the cry babies who lost his MY. The Forum owners have done an outstanding job, considering, and they are open to any change that would really get people to speak from the heart, instead of just the head. If your telling me I've spanked you enough just say give.  :smt003

When we (generic!) choose to label what we decide to call head in others, when we were expecting to listen to the heart, we sometimes miss the point! As you typically do SaTAN! For while you are pretending to be reading and listening to others, you are really listening to your already in PLAY mode inner track programmed in you for this lifetime ;-)

When a doctor is holding a patient closely while trying to hear his heart in order to let the (doctor's) brain decipher the sounds of the (patient's) heart in order to identify the type of heart rhythm or lack thereof in order to understand, know and then diagnose and treat the condition ...

The three are working together and often in unision!

The Doctor's concerned body touching the patient motivated by the heart and allowing the genunine concern to flow through that touch

The Doctor's concerned brain trying to figure out cerebrally the problem the patterns the diagnosis and all that ALL through a sense of personal responsibility to the Hippocratic Oath!

The Patient's full spiritual trust in the process with full trust and full submission knowing that the best that can happen to him is already promissed!

Some call it the Trident, the Trines, The Trilogy, The harmonious balance between the TRIMURTI that leads to a balance between Head, Heart and Soul -- and equilateral triangle in its ideal state!

ROHO, is that You?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:57 pm

[quote="stan"]
ROHO, is that You?[/quote]

Your quoted message was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I took the liberty of doing some surgery! But -- Hell no! :-)

The trimurti was a reference to the Hindu Divine Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh = Creator - Sustainer - destroyer.

stan

Post by stan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:04 am

rohiniranjan wrote:
stan wrote: ROHO, is that You?
Your quoted message was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I took the liberty of doing some surgery! But -- Hell no! :-)

The trimurti was a reference to the Hindu Divine Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh = Creator - Sustainer - destroyer.

AND :smt002 ?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 am

[quote="stan"][quote="rohiniranjan"][quote="stan"]
ROHO, is that You?[/quote]

The trimurti was a reference to the Hindu Divine Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh = Creator - Sustainer - destroyer.[/quote]

AND :smt002 ?[/quote]

The surgery was successful. SaTAN now has only five digits on each hand and foot!

RR

stan

Post by stan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:40 am

and?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 am

[quote="stan"]and?[/quote]

I call that progress! The silly crutch (emoticon with bad dental hygiene) is gone from your message ;-)

The constant trickle of 'water' is making a groove on the granite!

RR

Return to “Philosophy”