Genisis

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:10 pm

edit

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:30 pm

[quote="sidewalk_bends"]Rohin,

Remember a conversation when I first joined this board...Don't get up with semantics. Look beyond the words.[/quote]

I don't remember the conversation. And without the benefit of the context to which you supposedly responded (but did not quote!) I am not sure how semantics comes into this. Semantics cannot be stretched to include lazy writing, for instance!

Words are nothing but thoughts expressed. Only through those can we get to the thoughts and ideas that someone is expressing or trying to express and therefore are IMPORTANT if communication is the goal.

Sincerely,
RR

TiggerKat

Post by TiggerKat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:09 pm

rohiniranjan wrote: And this is not judgmental so please do not misunderstand me!

If you have watched some of the TV evangelists and some of the Internet evangelists and preachers and really followed them and their words, you would not be asking me this question about the difference between knowledge and knowing!
Oh.. oopss.. Hello!  :smt003

Being misunderstood is only to judge or misunderstand ones intent.  :smt002  

I have not really been into watching those evangelists, to me that could be another topic another day. Knowing, Knowledge to each their own. Someone could say I am know how to paint or I have the knowledge to paint. Well, I guess I would have the knowledge but I do not know how to paint. Knowing and the ability of the action can come to the difference in where we were raised.

Did not mean to go off point... although I really did not have one. Just wanted to say hello and see others views. :)
"Tuck a cloud up under my chin, Lord, Blow the moon out please"

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:02 pm

[quote="TiggerKat"]Oh.. oopss.. Hello!  :smt003

Being misunderstood is only to judge or misunderstand ones intent.  :smt002  

I have not really been into watching those evangelists, to me that could be another topic another day. Knowing, Knowledge to each their own. Someone could say I am know how to paint or I have the knowledge to paint. Well, I guess I would have the knowledge but I do not know how to paint. Knowing and the ability of the action can come to the difference in where we were raised.

Did not mean to go off point... although I really did not have one. Just wanted to say hello and see others views. :)[/quote]

Hello! Nice picture even if entirely imaginary ;-)

RR

Nassim

Post by Nassim » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:20 am

In genesis there were two named trees in the middle of the Garden of Eden ... none of which were called the Tree of Deception.

(1) The Tree of Life, the fruit of which Adam and Eve could freely eat of and live forever ... they never did eat of it.
(2) The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, the fruit of which God forbade them to eat, so that they would not die ... but the Devil(Satan) tricked them into doing it.

Satan was allowed to be there to deceived Adam & Eve into eating the fruit of the forbidden tree before they would have a chance to eat from the Tree of Life.

It was a simple test to determine if they would chose to trust & gain the knowledge from God or go through the hard knocks of life to learn about good and evil on their own.

Satan succeeded in his deception and Adam and Eve were banished by God before they could eat the fruit of the Tree of LIfe. (Genesis 3:20-24)

By the way, one place the Garden of Eden might be is in Eastern Turkey because the Tigris and Euphrates take their source in the mountains there.  But beware the portal or entrance is guarded by cherubim ( plural of Cherub, NOT babies with wings; see Ezekiel 10 for description of enormous creatures with four faces and four wings) with omnidirectional flaming swords.

Anyone want to go on an expedition to find the place?

Nassim
The Universe provides unlimited potential.
Do not limit the Force.
Do not limit yourself.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:34 am

Nassim wrote:In genesis there were two named trees in the middle of the Garden of Eden ... none of which were called the Tree of Deception.

(1) The Tree of Life, the fruit of which Adam and Eve could freely eat of and live forever ... they never did eat of it.
(2) The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, the fruit of which God forbade them to eat, so that they would not die ... but the Devil(Satan) tricked them into doing it.

Satan was allowed to be there to deceived Adam & Eve into eating the fruit of the forbidden tree before they would have a chance to eat from the Tree of Life.

It was a simple test to determine if they would chose to trust & gain the knowledge from God or go through the hard knocks of life to learn about good and evil on their own.

Satan succeeded in his deception and Adam and Eve were banished by God before they could eat the fruit of the Tree of LIfe. (Genesis 3:20-24)

By the way, one place the Garden of Eden might be is in Eastern Turkey because the Tigris and Euphrates take their source in the mountains there.  But beware the portal or entrance is guarded by cherubim ( plural of Cherub, NOT babies with wings; see Ezekiel 10 for description of enormous creatures with four faces and four wings) with omnidirectional flaming swords.

Anyone want to go on an expedition to find the place?

Nassim
Tree of deception was a reference to a question I had asked Stan. I asked if he had heard of it and what he could tell me about it if he had.
I am just like you.

stan

Post by stan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:12 am

Interesting response Side-Walk. Oh, you forgot to also mention your appreciation that I posted - THE TREE OF DECEPTION.

stan

Post by stan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:22 am

And when you had asked me about the tree of deception. What was my reply friend. I replied, I'm watching it! I was referring to you!  :smt015

stan

Post by stan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:44 am

Oh. I almost-almost forgot-why did you want me to do that thread on jail for my freind? :smt017

stan

Post by stan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:03 am

One remarked to Jesus that normally the good wine in served first but he noticed that Jesus gave the best towrds the end. So, I have done the same my friend.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:51 am

stan wrote:Interesting response Side-Walk. Oh, you forgot to also mention your appreciation that I posted - THE TREE OF DECEPTION.
You're right I thought perhaps you or someone else would shed light on my dream, and you have.
I am just like you.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:51 am

stan wrote:And when you had asked me about the tree of deception. What was my reply friend. I replied, I'm watching it! I was referring to you!  :smt015
Thank you Stan.
I am just like you.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:52 am

stan wrote:Oh. I almost-almost forgot-why did you want me to do that thread on jail for my freind? :smt017
Actually I didn't ask you to start the thread about threads in jail. Not sure where you're going with that one.
I am just like you.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:59 am

An honest question for you Stan because I am curious; What do you find so repulsive about me or others on the board, or perhaps my perception is wrong and misguided. I do appreciate your questions and comments. They help me to realize myself even if that is opposition or in agreement to your own beliefs.
I am just like you.

stan

PERCEPTIONS

Post by stan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:14 pm

sidewalk_bends wrote:An honest question for you Stan because I am curious; What do you find so repulsive about me or others on the board, or perhaps my perception is wrong and misguided. I do appreciate your questions and comments. They help me to realize myself even if that is opposition or in agreement to your own beliefs.
It may seem that I am repulsed by others but I am having a very fun time here and hate none, not even RoHo.  :smt002 Maybe, I should be aware that my style of communication offends, or maybe, simply what I state is offending? One may ask the same questions of others who respond to me. I have been called a lot of choice things and a number of folks have made it a point, to paint a portrait of me that is not true. I am strong about what I believe and I believe in God. You, or anyone can disrespect me for I am nothing but God is very real and alive. If you would of spoke to me prior to 1972, you would find that I would agree with much of what you say today. I did not want to hear about men like Jesus, or even God. God was merely a crutch for the weak. I would never of told anyone that because I could really care less about such topics. That all changed in a twinkling of an eye and I praise God that it did. I will say it again-I hate none of the messengers.

Return to “Philosophy”