POLITICAL CORRECTNES WHY?

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Amethyst-Jen

Post by Amethyst-Jen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:34 am

mercurial wrote:Does this "Freedom of Speech" proposed by Beck apply to all sections of the society, or is it just a ploy to attack muslims and the rest of the non-western world, under the pretext of political incorrectness?

Put simply, would it be ok for a muslim to call USA a rogue nation due to its actions in Iraq, in much the same way certain Americans exercise their freedom of speech to describe Iran as a rogue nation for whatever reason?

Hope you get my drift. This isn't an argument, but just a question to remind one and all that 'freedom of speech' and 'political incorrectness' could work both ways. Two can play this game.
to answer your question...yes.  If you feel that the US is a rogue nation, then feel free to voice that opinion. However, what I'm not understanding is how you are getting that idea based on what he said?  It seems to me that you are ready to attack without really reading what he really said.  I don't believe that he ever said anything about attacking muslims. Might want to step back and evaluate where YOUR response is coming from. If you catch my drift. :)

mercurial

Post by mercurial » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Amethyst-Jen wrote: to answer your question...yes.  If you feel that the US is a rogue nation, then feel free to voice that opinion. However, what I'm not understanding is how you are getting that idea based on what he said?  It seems to me that you are ready to attack without really reading what he really said.  I don't believe that he ever said anything about attacking muslims. Might want to step back and evaluate where YOUR response is coming from. If you catch my drift. :)
Sorry I didn't make it clear the first time around. :smt009 I'll try again. Frankly, it matters little to me if US or Islam is roguish. I just gave that as an instance, because usually the subject of PC is discussed amongst American/western intellectuals vis-a-vis Islam and other third-world cults.

Hope it's clear this time around? :smt002

Amethyst-Jen

Post by Amethyst-Jen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:17 pm

mercurial wrote:
Amethyst-Jen wrote: to answer your question...yes.  If you feel that the US is a rogue nation, then feel free to voice that opinion. However, what I'm not understanding is how you are getting that idea based on what he said?  It seems to me that you are ready to attack without really reading what he really said.  I don't believe that he ever said anything about attacking muslims. Might want to step back and evaluate where YOUR response is coming from. If you catch my drift. :)
Sorry I didn't make it clear the first time around. :smt009 I'll try again. Frankly, it matters little to me if US or Islam is roguish. I just gave that as an instance, because usually the subject of PC is discussed amongst American/western intellectuals vis-a-vis Islam and other third-world cults.

Hope it's clear this time around? :smt002
I guess we've all misunderstood. We come from different parts of the world, because for ME, the PC subject has nothing to do with islam or other religions, etc.  Maybe that is why I'm confused by what you are saying.

mercurial

Post by mercurial » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:02 pm

Amethyst-Jen wrote: because for ME, the PC subject has nothing to do with islam or other religions,
Fair enough. But what does this pc subject mean to you, then?

Amethyst-Jen

Post by Amethyst-Jen » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:33 pm

mercurial wrote:
Amethyst-Jen wrote: because for ME, the PC subject has nothing to do with islam or other religions,
Fair enough. But what does this pc subject mean to you, then?
For me personally, it has to do with how people are referred.  At least in the US, the PC police talk about how you should refer to blacks, whites, hispanics etc....not to mention how you refer to someone with a disability, with learning disorders, eating disorders and things of that nature.  Then there is the PC when it comes to religion and how to separate it from everyday life. You can't say Merry Christmas, you cant say Under God (even though that IS a part of our pledge of allegiance and on all of our currency) and you can't refer to the 10 commandments if you hold a public office.  THese are the examples of how I see PC.  It has never had anything to do with muslims.  I can honestly say, with a bit of regret, that I never gave much thought to muslims and their religion until 9-11.  Sure, it wasn't the greatest tribute to that religion, but I never for once blamed the religion or the people.  I PERSONALLY know the difference between radical and mainstream...there are some of those in EVERY religion.

theancient_dr

Post by theancient_dr » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:41 am

Posted by Stan
Beck: I think political correctness is killing us on so many different fronts. We’re losing our sovereignty – global treaties. We’re losing our country and our culture through our borders. We are being attacked by those at the extreme edges of religion. By having to couch these things in politically correct terms, or to be able to cry, “racist, xenophobe, Muslim hater,” you can no longer say things that must be said. That’s what’s going to destroy us.
YOUR THOUGHTS?

Political Correctness------
the term is an oxymoron
it seems that attempting correctness by politicians may be an impossible dream........
since this country was taken from the people that lived here
before Anglo's came----is it karmic????

"losing our country through our borders".... this is not new and has gone on since the USA took major portions of the USA & Mexico's land illegally.
repressed people will attempt to go where they are not repressed
and this is a part of the history of the USA....Italians, Irish, Jews, Blacks
all have migrated to the USA

Religion should never be included in government policy---if you think that works ----
look at the MIDDLE EAST

Politicians are owned by multinational corporations and will persue
anything that they are told

It seems the laws on the books could effect the protection of a nationalistic movement in the USA............but can not because of politicians

Using the genenralizations concerning blacks, Muslims, Mexicans--or green people are all wrong.....
but the ACLU is not the asnwer
love is the answer and that must begin at your dinner table
where you show your family and friend how to do the right thing
change must begin with YOU

happy holidays...TAD
~†~ LOVE IS THE ANSWER ~†~

stan

Post by stan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:27 pm

theancient_dr wrote:Posted by Stan
Beck: I think political correctness is killing us on so many different fronts. We’re losing our sovereignty – global treaties. We’re losing our country and our culture through our borders. We are being attacked by those at the extreme edges of religion. By having to couch these things in politically correct terms, or to be able to cry, “racist, xenophobe, Muslim hater,” you can no longer say things that must be said. That’s what’s going to destroy us.
YOUR THOUGHTS?

Political Correctness------
the term is an oxymoron
it seems that attempting correctness by politicians may be an impossible dream........
since this country was taken from the people that lived here
before Anglo's came----is it karmic????

"losing our country through our borders".... this is not new and has gone on since the USA took major portions of the USA & Mexico's land illegally.
repressed people will attempt to go where they are not repressed
and this is a part of the history of the USA....Italians, Irish, Jews, Blacks
all have migrated to the USA

Religion should never be included in government policy---if you think that works ----
look at the MIDDLE EAST

Politicians are owned by multinational corporations and will persue
anything that they are told

It seems the laws on the books could effect the protection of a nationalistic movement in the USA............but can not because of politicians

Using the genenralizations concerning blacks, Muslims, Mexicans--or green people are all wrong.....
but the ACLU is not the asnwer
love is the answer and that must begin at your dinner table
where you show your family and friend how to do the right thing
change must begin with YOU

happy holidays...TAD

Judge not! For by what measure ye judge, it shall be measured unto you! When the drunk comes to Gods House he seeks not a teacher to remind him of his condition and how he is deserving of punishment but the good teacher tells him of the love of God! Judge not what befalls a man or a nation as to whether it is good or bad, for who are you old man who judges God? One should consider one's own heart and intent too see if it is really pure. Happy Holidays to all who truly express the love of God and to do His Will and not their own! Let us not be imprisoned by our past deeds but find freedom through forgiveness and love, for if you can not forgive, your Heavenly Father will not forgive you!!

stan

Post by stan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:33 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Return to “Philosophy”