The dinosaurs

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Forest Of Mysteries

The dinosaurs

Post by Forest Of Mysteries » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:14 pm

Ok so we know that the Bible was written before fossilised remains of dinosaurs were discovered and so a whole chapter of proof of evolution wasn't available. But, surely this blows the whole idea of genesis and a garden of eden and Adam and Eve out of the water? Yet no-one ever mentions this?

sidewalk_bends

Re: The dinosaurs

Post by sidewalk_bends » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:55 pm

Forest Of Mysteries wrote:Ok so we know that the Bible was written before fossilised remains of dinosaurs were discovered and so a whole chapter of proof of evolution wasn't available. But, surely this blows the whole idea of genesis and a garden of eden and Adam and Eve out of the water? Yet no-one ever mentions this?
You know there are funny people who think that dinosaurs were actually the half angel/demon, half human giants that walked the Earth in the book of Enoch.

How do dinosaurs blow the idea of genesis out of the water? Who says God's method for change is not evolution in the genetic sense? There doesn't just have to be creationism and just evolution. It's possible that God created all of these things and still creates new creatures till this day. No where does it say that man was the first beast created - or am I mistaken.
I am just like you.

LordLeckie

Post by LordLeckie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:03 am

As it were there are far more compelling proofs to the bible being false rather than the ignorance of its authors in relation to fossils.

Genesis is blown out of the water by the simple fact that we have dated things back hundreds of thousands of years, far longer than the bibles account of a 6000-10000 year old earth, we also know that evolution over a long period of time has brought us to the point where we see all the creatures today rather than the 6 days according to the bible (interesting to note is that the bible has god create light on day one before light producing objects (sun/stars), hell he even makes plants before the sun and stars which pretty much screws them photosynthesis wise!)

We know there is no garden of eden as quite simply we have never found one and nor have we found evidence of humans originating from two people (the opposite is true, one must also question where the hell the people in the land of Nod came from when one of the sons was banished and who he mingled with post-banishment, not to mention that this suggests heavy amounts of incest in the early days given humanities limited number, something that happens later when Noah has to repopulate the earth with only his own family) we see much more genetic diveristy than that.

looking_glass

Post by looking_glass » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:42 am

Actually if you study radioactive dating, you'll see how it is not absolute.

And if you study the theory of evolution and genetics, especially at the level of synonymous and non-synonymous mutations, repeat regions, satellite regions and divergence, you'll understand that looking at incest and "evolution" in general is not as simple as many people portray it to be.

The Bible also states that Noah lived to be over several hundred years old if I remember correctly, so not all may be as it seems. For all we know, all that we think we know to be true now, may not have applied the same way as it did in the past. In other words, we do not make the rules.
awarenessoftheheart.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:12 am

RADIOACTIVE DATING! WOW!! NOW HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THAT WHEN I WAS THIRTEEN? Makes me change my birthdate as some leaders/teachers/moderators/GEMstones have done on this MYSTIC  BOARD forum and went from being 100 to 5, right before our eyes!

Anyway, the Radioactive sounds way more inspiring than carbon dating or just plain and simple DATING!

Does this message qualify me to change my forum birthdate and pose as a teenager? Or a TODDLER?

What a farce this MANDATORY birthdate entry has become on this forum -- where we host astrology, which rests squarely on ACCURATE BIRTHDATA ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BIRTHTIME!

SWETHA AND OTHER MODERATORS! ARE YOU LISTENING AND WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS MANDATORY BIRTHDATE ENTRY WHICH IS BECOMING A BIG JOKE AS SOME OF YOUR LEADERS AND MODERATORS HAVE PROVED? NOW THEY ARE 100 AND THEN THEY SUDDENLY TURN INTO CUTE LOVABLE *GEMS* THAT ARE FIVE YEAR OLDS!

??

[quote="looking_glass"]Actually if you study radioactive dating, you'll see how it is not absolute.

And if you study the theory of evolution and genetics, especially at the level of synonymous and non-synonymous mutations, repeat regions, satellite regions and divergence, you'll understand that looking at incest and "evolution" in general is not as simple as many people portray it to be.

The Bible also states that Noah lived to be over several hundred years old if I remember correctly, so not all may be as it seems. For all we know, all that we think we know to be true now, may not have applied the same way as it did in the past. In other words, we do not make the rules.[/quote]
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:48 am

i just wonder some say dinosuars are mentioned in job   and say that  the world/man is only thousands of years old .The creationist seem to stick to their story and  it dont change much., but the scientist are alwayes updating and changing their opinions  .makes you wonder sometimes .i have a hard time believing alot of what these great scientific minds are feeding us .sure it makes for great dicussion and debate .but if their so sure of them selves why is the world in such a mess .where no closer to finding the missing link now than we were a hundred years ago .it seems we now spend most of our time and money undoing the harm and chaos  that we ourselves have put into motion ...

LordLeckie

Post by LordLeckie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:57 am

The reason it changes is because humans are fallible and we are constantly learning new things, this is scientific work at its finest with its constant march providing new interesting things to marvel at and prodcuing amazing new technology along the way. Creationism on the other hand is "dont bother, god did it" (commonly compressed into godidit) this does nothing in terms of understanding the universe, it simply postulates something then leaves it at that. It dosent look at the facts anf draw conclusions, it draws conclusions and looks for facts to support it (somewhere between zero and none), it provides nothing to help us in our modern age.

Lycona

Post by Lycona » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:49 am

The dinosaurs existed millions of years ago.  The earth is 5 billion years old.  According to scientists, the earth has about 7.6 billion years left, and even if humans are around then, they won't look like us or even be called human.  

To me, this says perfection takes time, a lot of time.  Not something that anyone can do in 5 thousand years.  And it also says that everything that begins also ends.  The dinosaurs existed and ended, and so will we.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste great with ketchup.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:55 am

[quote="Lycona"]The dinosaurs existed millions of years ago.  The earth is 5 billion years old.  According to scientists, the earth has about 7.6 billion years left, and even if humans are around then, they won't look like us or even be called human.  

To me, this says perfection takes time, a lot of time.  Not something that anyone can do in 5 thousand years.  And it also says that everything that begins also ends.  The dinosaurs existed and ended, and so will we.[/quote]

AH! BUT the dinosaurs exist TODAY! As bones, as curiosities, in museums and TV science shows and archeological realities! And in movies and comics that toddlers and children see, more lately than when I was a child <DON'T YOU DARE ASK WHEN!>

Perhaps as long as dinosaurs remain in our reality, in our minds and as some sceptics say, AMONGST US, perfection would not be an arm's reach ahead!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Philosophy”