Words to live by

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

Words to live by

Post by Pravin Kumar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:00 pm

[/

Words to Live By
As a young man serving in Vietnam, I received a surprising letter that brought me hope and comfort.
By Bill Worthman  

The day before I was to be shipped out to Vietnam, two friends offered to take me out for a last fling. We went to a bowling alley where one of my friends introduced me to an attractive young lady named Shirley. He had dated her in the past and said she was a friend of his and was very nice.

After some conversation, we elected to go into a side room to play foosball. Shirley and I were on one team, and my two friends were on the other. In the process of losing, I put my arm around Shirley, telling her, "Losing wasn't the worst thing that might happen in the world."

Walking the same path each morning can be beneficial.
Later that night, my two friends and I stopped for pizza at a local restaurant. As fate should have it, Shirley was there with some of her friends and we joined them. We had a very nice evening--full of conversation. Then we all departed.

I didn't think much more of it as I flew out the following day, assigned to the First Cavalry Division.

On one of the more "down days," I received a letter from someone named Shirley. At the time, I couldn't quite place the name. As I read further, I remembered the night of foosball and pizza.

In her letter she told me that adversity is not always a bad thing, saying that under pressure coal becomes a diamond, that against the abrading forces of a whetstone a knife becomes sharp, and that those things that bring adversity result in strength of character.

When I returned home on Christmas, I met Shirley for our first real date. We shared our first kiss that New Year's Eve.

Shirley and I have been happily married now for 33 years. Two children and two grandchildren later, I realize now more than ever how much her words have meant to me. I thank God for her inspiration, love, and continuous support in making my life what it is today.
size]

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:26 pm

Thank you for sharing.  Image
Stand in Love,Walk in Love, Live in Love ड़ारा
Nora Roberts
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.

Return to “Philosophy”