Todays quottes on RAIN

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

prasanna

Todays quottes on RAIN

Post by prasanna » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:36 am

FAMOUS QUOTES ON RAIN

We knew it would rain, for the poplars showed The white of their leaves, the amber grain Shrunk in the wind,--and the lightning now Is tangled in tremulous skeins of rain.
Author: Thomas Bailey Aldrich
Source: Before the Rain

A little rain will fill The lily's cup which hardly moists the field.
Author: Edwin Arnold
Source: The Light of Asia (bk. VI, l. 215)

He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth.
Author: Bible
Source: Psalms (ch. LXXII, v. 6)

She waits for me, my lady Earth, Smiles and waits and sighs; I'll say her nay, and hide away, Then take her by surprise.
Author: Mary Mapes Dodge
Source: How the Raid Comes--April

How it pours, pours, pours, In a never-ending sheet! How it drives beneath the doors! How it soaks the passer's feet! How it rattles on the shutter! How it rumples up the lawn! How 'twill sigh, and moan, and mutter, From darkness until dawn.
Author: Rossiter Johnson
Source: Rhyme of the Rain

Be still, sad heart, and cease repining; Behind the clouds the sun is shining; Thy fate is the common fate of all, Into each life some rain must fall, Some days must be dark and dreary.
Author: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Source: An April Day

And the hooded clouds, like friars, Tell their beads in drops of rain.
Source: Midnight Mass for the Dying Year (st. 4)

The day is cold, and dark, and dreary; It rains, and the wind in never weary; The vine still clings to the mouldering wall, But at every gust the dead leaves fall, And the day is dark and dreary.
Source: The Rainy Day

The ceaseless rain is falling fast, And yonder gilded vane, Immovable for three days past, Points to the misty main.
Source: Travels by the Fireside (st. 1)

It is not raining to me, It's raining daffodils; In every dimpled drop I see Wild flowers on distant hills.
Author: Robert Loveman
Source: April Rain, appeared in "Harper's Magazine", May, 1901

But when I came, alas, to wive, With hey, ho, the wind and the rain, By swaggering could I never thrive, For the rain it raineth every day.
Author: William Shakespeare
Source: Twelfth Night, or, What You Will (Orsino, Duke of Illyria at V, i)

I bring fresh showers for the thirsting flowers, From the seas and the streams; I bear light shade for the leaves when laid In their noonday dreams. From my wings are shaken the dews that waken The sweet buds every one, When rocked to rest on their mother's breast, As she dances about the sun. I wield the flail of the lashing hail, And whiten the green plains under, And then again I dissolve it in rain, And laugh as I pass in thunder.
Author: Percy Bysshe Shelley
Source: The Cloud

I know Sir John will go, though he was sure it would rain cats and dogs.
Author: Jonathan Swift
Source: Polite Conversation (dialogue II)

The Clouds consign their treasures to the fields; And, softly shaking on the dimpled pool Prelusive drops, let all their moisture flow In large effusion, o'er the freshen'd world.
Author: James Thomson (1)

prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:08 pm

I bring fresh showers for the thirsting flowers, From the seas and the streams; I bear light shade for the leaves when laid In their noonday dreams. From my wings are shaken the dews that waken The sweet buds every one, When rocked to rest on their mother's breast, As she dances about the sun. I wield the flail of the lashing hail, And whiten the green plains under, And then again I dissolve it in rain, And laugh as I pass in thunder.
Author: Percy Bysshe Shelley
Source: The Cloud
I like this one, thank you

April showers bring May flowers.
Stand in Love,Walk in Love, Live in Love ड़ारा
Nora Roberts
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:20 am

Speaking of rain, rainbows come to mind...

RAINBOWS  ALWAYS HAVE  A  PAST

Rainbows make my heart so sad
I know that'll make you wonder why
I try to see the beautiful sight
All I remember are clouds so dark
that wiped the virgin blue off the sky
that squelched the golden sun away,
brought this lightning bright and harsh
that burned a gaping hole in my heart.
And the torrents that washed the fields away
that tore the bridge that joined those two
and yet they call it a symbol of love
Can this really be Cupid's bow?
I wish my heart could sing with joy
I wish I could dance with the rest of you
as you sing its glory bright
and wrapped in its magnificient colors
you feel your souls rising in hope
as children look up in curious glee
my heart just sinks and sobs its tears
I love the sight of a rainbow bright
But is it right to forget the storm in its past?

<originally gifted to me in 1993 -- but I see that it is still valid!>
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:53 am

thank u ranjan(mr)

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; i am very very glad to see your beautiful heart through this poem and can share the feelings of RAINBOW, please do continue writting this, below my quotations everyday if possible, i love to read &nbsp; THEM all

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; " RAIN BOWS " &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;do have past , but YOU?

Nobody can forget RAINBOWS, it remains in every heart ,, forever , &nbsp; &nbsp;as &nbsp;you &nbsp;are &nbsp;to &nbsp;all of us. , I find in u all the &nbsp;colors (, V I B G Y O R) &nbsp; BUT to &nbsp;me ,U &nbsp;are always ,

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;the total of &nbsp; " &nbsp;VIBGYOR"

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;this totality conNects &nbsp; ME &nbsp;to &nbsp; U &nbsp; FOREVER ., YOU &nbsp;ARE &nbsp;ALWAYS MY &nbsp; &nbsp;RR.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; MY &nbsp;SWEET &nbsp; BROTHER &nbsp;RR

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;RAINBOWS &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;DO &nbsp; &nbsp;( ONLY ) &nbsp; &nbsp;HAVE PAST

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; WE &nbsp; ALL &nbsp; &nbsp;DO HAVE &nbsp; &nbsp;ALL &nbsp;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;RAINBOW &nbsp; &nbsp; IS &nbsp;TO &nbsp; &nbsp; VIBGYOR
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; WE &nbsp; ALL &nbsp; &nbsp;ARE &nbsp; &nbsp; TO &nbsp; OUR &nbsp;RR
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; BY

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;PRASANNA
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

Pravin Kumar

RAIN

Post by Pravin Kumar » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Prasanna,

Very good quotes on Rain and Rainbow.

Pravin Kumar

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:23 am

[quote="prasanna"]...
      " RAIN BOWS "      do have past , but YOU?
     PRASANNA[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY, Prasanna!
Like I wrote earlier: I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday! :-)

In my personal learning and expression, be it prose or poetry or a dish cooked spontaneously without following a printed recipe, this is what I have learned:

Past is real and important but it can only flow into present if the here and now offers it the gift of silence.

Hence when we meditate, the past emerges at times --
The natural mistake is to do what is socially acceptable and even required!
When someone speaks to us, we feel pressured to respond or else we would be considered impolite.

But when we meditate, it is okay to not respond ...
but just to listen, actively and actually create a 'listening vacuum' in our hearts and souls!
It is what I think of as light 'fasting' before a big wedding feast! ;-)
A standard and wise UP Pandaa practice, if you must know!

A Pandaa took his little but very intelligent son to a religious feast
(Pandaas are known to consume large amounts of food, in case some of you do not know!)
The dad noticed that the little one was sipping water every so often while eating.

When they were returning home, the Pandajee rebuked his son: Fool! Why were you filling your stomach with all that water? You could have eaten a lot more if you did not do that!

The son replied," Dad, if you fill a bowl with ash and pour some water slowly, the ash settles and more room gets created! That is why I was sipping water to make more room and eat more!

Now the Dad really got upset and whacked his son in the head! "FOOL! Why did you not tell me that earlier? I could have done the same too!!"

Love, Light and Levity...

Return to “Philosophy”