HINDU AND MUSLIM QUOTES

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

HINDU AND MUSLIM QUOTES

Post by Pravin Kumar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Fear and hope are two pillars of faith. By practicing either one of them a person will not fall into error, because both fear and hope lead to union. Those who fear devote themselves to God through fear of separation from Him, and those who hope worship in hope of realizing the ultimate union.

- Al-Razi, "The Kashf al-Mahjub"

The foolish do not look beyond physical appearances to see my true nature as the Lord of all creation. The knowledge of such deluded people is empty; their lives are fraught with disaster and evil and their work and hopes are all in vain. But truly great souls seek my divine nature. They worship me with a one-pointed mind, having realized that I am the eternal source of all. Constantly striving, they make firm their resolve and worship me without wavering. Full of devotion, they sing of my divine glory.

- Bhagavad Gita 9:11-14

Why should I grieve because of a thorn? Once it had made laughter known to me. Whatever you lost through the stroke of destiny, know it was to save you from adversity. One small affliction keeps off greater afflictions; one small loss prevents greater losses.

- Rumi, "Mathnawi"

To those steadfast in love and devotion I give spiritual wisdom, so that they may come to me. Out of compassion I destroy the darkness of their ignorance. From within them I light the lamp of wisdom and dispel all darkness from their lives.

Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though t'were his own.

- Johann von Goethe

A believer through his good deeds reaches the position of one who worships all night and fasts during the day.

- The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by A'ishah bint Abi Bakr

The mantra AUM stands for the supreme state Of Turiya, without parts, beyond birth And death, symbol of everlasting joy. Those who know AUM as the Self become the Self; Truly they become the Self. Om shanti shanti shanti

- Mandukya Upanishad

People differ greatly in the amount of anxiety and worry they can stand: some can endure a great deal without being adversely affected, while others soon show signs of strain. You should observe yourself closely, so that you understand your own powers of endurance. By this means you will learn to divest yourself before any harm is done.

- Razi: Kitab al-Muluki

In dark night live those for whom The world without alone is real; in night Darker still, for whom the world within Alone is real. The first leads to a life Of action, the second to a life of meditation. But those who combine action with meditation Cross the sea of death through action And enter into immortality Through the practice of meditation. So have we heard from the wise.

- Isha Upanishad

Worship is like a work of art mastered only by the sincere, the learned scholars who practice what they know, who live and walk among people like everyone else, but in their hearts they seek freedom in the serenity of the wilderness. Because of this yearning they continue to grow until their spirits soar and become united with the numinous. About such God says, "Indeed they are the finest of human beings, cherished by us."

- Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jillani, "Fayuz E Yazdani"

The foolish do not look beyond physical appearances to see my true nature as the Lord of all creation. The knowledge of such deluded people is empty; their lives are fraught with disaster and evil and their work and hopes are all in vain. But truly great souls seek my divine nature. They worship me with a one-pointed mind, having realized that I am the eternal source of all. Constantly striving, they make firm their resolve and worship me without wavering. Full of devotion, they sing of my divine glory.

- Bhagavad Gita 9:11-14

Hear, O children of immortal bliss, You are born to be united with the Lord. Follow the path of the illumined ones And be united with the Lord of Life. Kindle the fire of kundalini deep In meditation. Bring your mind and breath Under control. Drink deep of divine love, And you will attain the unitive state. Dedicate yourself to the Lord of Life, Who is the cause of the cosmos. He will Remove the cause of all your suffering And free you from the bondage of karma.

- Shvetashvatara Upanishad

Return to “Philosophy”