HINDU, MUSLIM AND HEALTH QUOTES

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

HINDU, MUSLIM AND HEALTH QUOTES

Post by Pravin Kumar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:07 am

There exists something that cannot be described.

- Maharamayana

Rabi'a asked someone to buy a blanket for her, giving the person four coins. The person asked: 'Do you want a black blanket, or a white one?' Rabi'a took back the coins, threw them in the Tigris river, and exclaimed: 'Must we divide even blankets into distinct groups?'

One who has attained complete discrimination between the subtlest level of mind and the Self has no higher knowledge to acquire. This is dharma megha samadhi--the state of the Unclouded Truth.

- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, 4:29

Those who dwell on and long for sense-pleasure Are born in a world of separateness. But let them realize they are the Self And all separateness will fall away.

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it: Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

- Goethe

The master's way is unfettered And free of guile. He shines. But for the fool There is no peace. His thoughts are full of desire.

- Ashtavakra Gita 18:52

Once Abu Umamah asked the Prophet about the rights of parents over their children. The Prophet replied, "They are your Paradise and they are your Hell."

- Reported by Abu Umamah

We load up on oat bran in the morning so we'll live forever. Then we spend the rest of the day living like there's no tomorrow.

- Lee Iacocca

Fire is his head, the sun and moon his eyes, The heavens his ears, the scriptures his voice, The air his breath, the universe his heart, And the earth his footrest. The Lord of Love Is the innermost Self of all.

- Mundaka Upanishad

You will not be able to give anyone happiness by means of your wealth, so do it by means of a cheerful countenance and good humor.

- The Prophet Muhammad in Qushayri: al-Risalat al-Qushayriyya

More Quotes

Sleep is like the unicorn - it is rumored to exist, but I doubt I will see any.

Gratitude for the abundance you have received is the best insurance that the abundance will continue.

The thoughtless glutton who gorges himself beyond His digestive fire's limits will be consumed by limitless ills.

- Tirukkural 947

I only really understand myself, what I'm really thinking and feelings, when I've talked it over with my circle of female friends. When days go by without that connection, I feel like a radio playing in an empty room.

- Anna Quindlen

n the hour of grief you turn to Him; when grief departs you transgress. In adversity you moan entreating Him; when ease returns you turn away. Those who know God remain steady, but those who doubt exult at times and become despondent at others.

- Rumi, "Mathnawi"

ntimacy means that we're safe enough to reveal the truth about ourselves in all its creative chaos. If a space is created in which two people are totally free to reveal their walls, then those walls, in time, will come down.

- Marianne Williamson

Still your mind in me, still your intellect in me, and without doubt you will be united with me forever. If you cannot still your mind in me, learn to do so through the regular practice of meditation. If you lack the will for such self-discipline, engage yourself in my work, for selfless service can lead you at least to complete fulfillment. If you are unable to do even this, surrender yourself to me, disciplining yourself and renouncing the results of all your actions.

- Bhagavad Gita 12:8-11

The pleas of the devoted ascend to heaven, the smoke of their sincerity ascends to heaven, and the angels entreat God in earnest: "O You who answer every prayer, Your protection is being beseeched. Your devotee in utter humility pleads. Hear him, Lord. He knows only to depend on You."

- Rumi, "Mathnawi"

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.

- Melody Beattie

There is nothing too difficult for a man who, before he acts, Deliberates with chosen friends and reflects privately.

- Tirukkural 47:462

Return to “Philosophy”