HINDU, MUSLIM WISDOMS AND DAILY GLOW

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

HINDU, MUSLIM WISDOMS AND DAILY GLOW

Post by Pravin Kumar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:44 am

Life's unfairness is not irrevocable; we can help balance the scales for others, if not always for ourselves.

- Hubert Humphrey

Nothing would astonish me, after all these years, except to be understood.

- Ellen Glasgow

Grief clouds thought and reason, and harms both the soul and the body; so you should repel it, or reduce it as much as possible. This can be done in two ways: you can strive to prevent grief from occurring; and you can banish grief when it does occur.

- Razi: Kitab al-Muluki

Negative feelings, such as violence, are damaging to life, whether we act upon them ourselves, or cause or condone them in others. They are born of greed, anger, or delusion, and may be slight, moderate, or intense. Their fruit is endless ignorance and suffering. To remember this is to cultivate the opposite.

- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, 2:34

If you devote yourself to God in this world, He will admit you among His chosen servants in the hereafter. Such devotion, however, demands sacrifice and self-denial, the two instruments that make union with God possible.

- Al-Hujwiri, "The Kashf al-Mahjub"

They are forever free who renounce all selfish desires and break away from the ego-cage of "I," "me," and "mine" to be united with the Lord. This is the supreme state. Attain to this, and pass from death to immortality.

- Bhagavad Gita 2:71-72

Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.

- Barbara Mark and Trudy Griswold,
"The Angelspeake Storybook"

When you encounter difficulties and contradictions, do not try to break them, but bend them with gentleness and time.

- St. Francis de Sales

Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does.

- Epictetus, Greek philosopher (c.55 - c.135 C.E.)

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

While we are asleep in this world, we are awake in another one.

- Jorge Luis Borges

God is God. Because He is God, He is worthy of my trust and obedience. I will find rest nowhere but in His holy will, a will that is unspeakably beyond my largest notions of what He is up to.

- Elisabeth Elliot

To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.

- David Viscott

Return to “Philosophy”