God

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

spiritalk

God

Post by spiritalk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Who is God to you?  Personal or Global or Societal?
What is a good concept of God to adopt?
Why would you make that choice?
Where is God located?
How can we get away from the human concept of God?
God bless, J

sunmystic

Re: God

Post by sunmystic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:13 pm

spiritalk wrote:Who is God to you?  Personal or Global or Societal?
Where is God located?
Awesome topic Spirit Talk! And it is exactly in the right place!

Too cool!

Oh but you did start a topic with a swear word! Tich tich! :) "Sunmystic's finger hovers over his moderating button :) !"

Love you!

sunmystic

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 pm

For me God is Global.
God is the creating force, and since we only can have 1 creating force, there is only 1 God.
Since God is the creating force, he must be in every living thing, from the smallest of smallest to the biggest of biggest, and in everything that grow.
"He" is in water, air, earth and fire.
Since he is in all, he is also a part of us, and when religions say we are created in his image, then they are right, in a microscopic way, because the same can be said about everything.

The God of the Religions are made especial for humans, to feel chosen, to belong to a belief, that show narrow thought, that promote discrimination if you aren't of the right sex, belief or sexual preferences.
It promote judgment, even if Jesus said..."let the one who are clean cast the first stone", and he even throw out all learned people from the temple.......who says he would not have done it again.

We fight for the right belief, we have competition to have the right belief, the belief is use to build own power, the belief is used to promote own interest, the belief is used to do cruelties toward innocent people...even today.
For what? Fore entrance to Heaven?....Heaven and Hell is just like Religions created by humans, they are a part of the tools to keep the flock together....but Heaven and Hell is not in the sky or deep down in the earth...it is on earth...it is how we self chose to live....how we let other control our life...how we let us be stagnated in the name of the Lord.

Since God is inside each one of a living soul, then he is also located in every living soul, we are a combination of God and the Devil
The Devil is also man created...it is in my opinion the degenerating power....the opposite....the negative field in our life....but necessarily because else we could not have understood God.

To get away from the human concept of God will not be easy.....and maybe not something that we want.....If Religion are used right....then it gives comfort to billions of people....it gives them hope....it gives them values....
It is just so sad that we have religious leaders that have blindfolds, that fight for personal power, which I think would have been against any God's Will.

Hopefully we can one time experience that all Religions accept each other, and understand that they are working for the same thing...to better a humans life :)

My thoughts :)

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Rhutobello wrote:For me God is Global.
God is the creating force, and since we only can have 1 creating force, there is only 1 God.
Since God is the creating force, he must be in every living thing, from the smallest of smallest to the biggest of biggest, and in everything that grow.
"He" is in water, air, earth and fire.
Since he is in all, he is also a part of us, and when religions say we are created in his image, then they are right, in a microscopic way, because the same can be said about everything.

The God of the Religions are made especial for humans, to feel chosen, to belong to a belief, that show narrow thought, that promote discrimination if you aren't of the right sex, belief or sexual preferences.
It promote judgment, even if Jesus said..."let the one who are clean cast the first stone", and he even throw out all learned people from the temple.......who says he would not have done it again.

We fight for the right belief, we have competition to have the right belief, the belief is use to build own power, the belief is used to promote own interest, the belief is used to do cruelties toward innocent people...even today.
For what? Fore entrance to Heaven?....Heaven and Hell is just like Religions created by humans, they are a part of the tools to keep the flock together....but Heaven and Hell is not in the sky or deep down in the earth...it is on earth...it is how we self chose to live....how we let other control our life...how we let us be stagnated in the name of the Lord.

Since God is inside each one of a living soul, then he is also located in every living soul, we are a combination of God and the Devil
The Devil is also man created...it is in my opinion the degenerating power....the opposite....the negative field in our life....but necessarily because else we could not have understood God.

To get away from the human concept of God will not be easy.....and maybe not something that we want.....If Religion are used right....then it gives comfort to billions of people....it gives them hope....it gives them values....
It is just so sad that we have religious leaders that have blindfolds, that fight for personal power, which I think would have been against any God's Will.

Hopefully we can one time experience that all Religions accept each other, and understand that they are working for the same thing...to better a humans life :)

My thoughts :)
Whoa! :)

I think that that boy is an Indigo child!  

guys? :)

Love you!

sunmystic

Ishtar

Hey

Post by Ishtar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 am

:smt006

I could not have said it better myself. I can’t remember where i heard it but it feels so right to me to say that if our Creator was on top of a mountain and we were on the bottom that religion would be the path that we chose to climb to get to Him/ Her/ It, whichever way you want to see the Creator...

You kind of opened a new way to look at Heaven & Hell for me but i think with the way it is imprinted on my mind from childhood, it’s something i still have to ponder on...

I think that respect for one another’s religion or believe systems would make the earth a much more tolerable place; you don’t have to understand it but to respect the fact that it is that person’s choice...

One thing i see a lot is where people take, whether it be the Bible, Quran or any other Holy Book says and only use what suits their goals at the time but if there is no benefit to them they discard it...

Warm Blessing
:)
Ishtar
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny compared to what lies within us"

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Where is God located?
1.  God is spirit.  The same spirit is what is available to us all. It is the ultimate source of all energy.  And everything is about energy in some form or another.  (I like Rutho's comments here).

2.  We all have a covenant (promise) with the God of our own understanding.  While there is only one God there are certainly many paths to understand it.  

3.  God as spirit explains so much that has been taught through all the religious groups I have travelled.  God is the same to each and yet, we can apply so much of our own limited understanding to make that covenant so important to our plan in life.

4.  There is no far off heaven (or hell for that matter) where God resides.  There is only the spirit in our own hearts to make this life matter to spirituality.  Grow with God.

5.  The thought written in most Holy books and literature is that we are in the image of God.  This does a disservice to the humanity of God.  God is not human and does not have our limited traits.  God is in all human beings as the spirit of life.  Soul = breath.  God breathes life into all creation.
God bless, J

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm

spiritalk wrote:
Where is God located?
1.  God is spirit.  The same spirit is what is available to us all. It is the ultimate source of all energy.  And everything is about energy in some form or another.  (I like Rutho's comments here).

2.  We all have a covenant (promise) with the God of our own understanding.  While there is only one God there are certainly many paths to understand it.  

3.  God as spirit explains so much that has been taught through all the religious groups I have travelled.  God is the same to each and yet, we can apply so much of our own limited understanding to make that covenant so important to our plan in life.

4.  There is no far off heaven (or hell for that matter) where God resides.  There is only the spirit in our own hearts to make this life matter to spirituality.  Grow with God.

5.  The thought written in most Holy books and literature is that we are in the image of God.  This does a disservice to the humanity of God.  God is not human and does not have our limited traits.  God is in all human beings as the spirit of life.  Soul = breath.  God breathes life into all creation.
God is "human" :) it is just that we are not "human" as "human" truely is.

The disservice is not to God, the disservice is to ourselves :) .

love,

sunmystic

sunmystic

Re: Hey

Post by sunmystic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Ishtar wrote::smt006

I could not have said it better myself. I can’t remember where i heard it but it feels so right to me to say that if our Creator was on top of a mountain and we were on the bottom that religion would be the path that we chose to climb to get to Him/ Her/ It, whichever way you want to see the Creator...

You kind of opened a new way to look at Heaven & Hell for me but i think with the way it is imprinted on my mind from childhood, it’s something i still have to ponder on...

I think that respect for one another’s religion or believe systems would make the earth a much more tolerable place; you don’t have to understand it but to respect the fact that it is that person’s choice...

One thing i see a lot is where people take, whether it be the Bible, Quran or any other Holy Book says and only use what suits their goals at the time but if there is no benefit to them they discard it...

Warm Blessing
:)
Ishtar
I think that what you have posted Ishtar, is the post of a very awake person.

love,

sunmystic

Ishtar

Hey

Post by Ishtar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 am

:smt006

Thank you Sun...

Does that mean that your mind has been put at ease about me waking up...  Cause you know that i am going to do it one way or the other, I am stubborn like that...  :smt002
I have been mulling it over in my mind over and over again and i still don’t understand the dangerous part??? Care to put me out of my misery???

Warm Blessings,
Ishtar
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny compared to what lies within us"

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

sunmystic wrote:
spiritalk wrote:
Where is God located?

love,

sunmystic
The ignoble traits of human beings are not found in God.  When someone talks of their understanding of God as judgement (i.e.) they are placing human beings traits on to the all expansive energies of God.
God bless, J

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Thank you Sun...

Does that mean that your mind has been put at ease about me waking up...  Cause you know that i am going to do it one way or the other, I am stubborn like that...  :smt002
I have been mulling it over in my mind over and over again and i still don’t understand the dangerous part??? Care to put me out of my misery???

Warm Blessings,
Ishtar
Ishtar :) there is nothing about you that my mind needs to be put "at ease" about :) . Ok? :)

I am just exploring what is "your unknown" with you. We have not got to "my unknown" yet :) ! Which I am sure that you will help "me" with :) .

Love you!

sunmystic :)

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:58 pm

spiritalk wrote:
sunmystic wrote:
spiritalk wrote:
Where is God located?

love,

sunmystic
The ignoble traits of human beings are not found in God.  When someone talks of their understanding of God as judgement (i.e.) they are placing human beings traits on to the all expansive energies of God.
Sweetheart you have never met God or you would not say the things that you say :) .

But for the sake of creating activity (for the sake of argument) your logic is based on what other folks say that/who have not met God either :) !

How in all that is sane can I argue with them? :) "And no young lady you can not go outside and play :) ! Prim and proper only!"

Love you!

old sun :)

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm

I think it is assumptuous to assume others have not met or talked to God.  That is where the diversity come in.  

My God may not be your God and yet....there is only one.  As I understand God I have talked to and continue to talk to God each and every day.  But that is just me~
God bless, J

Ishtar

Post by Ishtar » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 am

sunmystic wrote:

Thank you Sun...

Warm Blessings,
Ishtar
Ishtar :) there is nothing about you that my mind needs to be put "at ease" about :) . Ok? :)

I am just exploring what is "your unknown" with you. We have not got to "my unknown" yet :) ! Which I am sure that you will help "me" with :) .

Love you!

sunmystic :)

Thank you Sun, means a lot!  :)

I would be honoured to help you with your unknown… just let me know… ( personally I think you will be the one helping  :smt003 )

Love You 2!
Ishtar

simplyhuman

My approach to 'God'

Post by simplyhuman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Im sure the use of quotations around the word 'God' bothers some people, and I apologize if it bothers you but I think you'll understand my reasons by the end of this post.

To answer the first question.  Who is God to you? Personal Global or Societal?
For me, God is everything all wrapped up into one.  God is me I am God, the Earth(or for that matter any world, star, etc.) and all the energies in it and around it is God and God is it/them, and society and all the interactions and 'evolutions' that come about due to growth are God and God is them.  Thats part of the reason I use quotations with the word God.  I feel it's a descriptive word/name we've created as a needing species to describe how we and everything we know came to be.  To me, placing a name on it/him/her/them doesn't grant the deserved credit.

What is a good concept of God to adopt?  For me, God was always the creator.  He was the person or entity that I prayed to blindly because I was told he was listening and he would answer my prayers.  That was as a christian youth that knew nothing different.  I've now learned that through reflection and observation, I can learn anything and do anything that I set my mind to.  Where your life goes is up to you.  Of course circumstances come up that alter your course to teach you a lesson here or there.  But in the end, if you are determined to reach a certain goal, no one and nothing can truly stop you.  So I guess what I'm saying in short is, as long as you have an approach to life that does not support hurting others or taking advantage of others, if your focus and mindset is the progression of you and your fellow man, then you are 'God'.

Now hear me out.  I will elaborate more for this next question and you will see where I'm going.  It's not evil or self-righteous or anything of the sort. You will see.

Why would you make that choice?  For me,  looking at myself as 'God' means looking at everyone else as 'God' too.  And for that matter, I view everything together as God.  This creates love which has been hard for me to find throughout my life.  Seeing myself and everything as God means I have to protect everything and everyone, and they should and will do the same for me whether they realize it or not.  It's just the way I feel things are supposed to work.  For some reason, we've been a selfish species up to this point in our short existence.  But I think at some point that will pass and we will work together, for each other, as we should.

For the next question, "Where is God located?", I say, in my heart, in your heart, in the heart of this Earth that has provided us the means for the luxurious environment harming lifestyles we so frivolously live.  In the eyes of your dog, cat, fish, or any other animal, in the roots of the grass and trees, in the stars.  To me 'God' is everything.  I've been trying to use a better name for It when I talk about It, but none has come to me.  'God' just hasn't sat right with me for a while now.  Though I understand it's use and I have no issue when using it for someone who isn't open to other phrases such as The All or The Universe as certain people close to me use.

Sorry for the long drawn out post but I've been wanting to get all this off my chest for a while now.  

And for the last question.  How can we get away from the human concept of 'God'?  My thoughts on that stem from the fact that there are 7 billionish people on our planet.  Multiple religions use one word for God.  And many of the most powerful people on Earth claim God due to the saturation of Christianity over the past 2000 years since Jesus Christ was claimed to have walked the Earth as God's son.
I think we will get away from this very human concept over time.  Time heals.  Hopefully 2012 will be the catalyst.  I sure hope it is, for my future kids' sake.  As people realize that theres more to life than what we've been made to believe.  More than just working and sleeping and trying to get in the occasional pleasure from time to time.  More than going to school so you can go to school so you can get a job so you can support your wife and kids.  More than the nice houses or nice cars or nice clothes or the new high definition TV that shows a 2% improvement in picture quality and is 5mm thinner for a months pay. Etc, etc, etc.
I believe in the human race.  And I believe we will change our concept of God to a more loving and all encompassing one.

Just to finish up real quick.  In the end, I think 'God' is whatever you need.  The universe is balanced.  Life is balanced.  If you need something and your time isn't up, and it's not just a want or an immature desire, the universe, or God or whatever controls all of this will provide it.  
The flow of life is working the way it's supposed to, there's a reason for everything.  Sometimes you may just never know what that reason is because it has to do with someone on the other side of the city, country, world, or universe for that matter.
You make your own reality.

Return to “Philosophy”