BUDDHIST WISDOM

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

BUDDHIST WISDOM

Post by Pravin Kumar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:32 am

Just as fog is dispelled by the strength of the sun and is dispelled no other way, preconception is cleared by the strength of realization. There's no other way of clearing preconceptions. Experience them as baseless dreams. Experience them as ephemeral bubbles. Experience them as insubstantial rainbows. Experience them as indivisible space.

- Milarepa, "Drinking the Mountain Stream"

The Buddha was invited by a Brahman  to have a meal in his house. But when he arrived, the Brahman greeted him strangely, with a torrent of abuse. Politely, the Buddha asked, Do visitors come to your home, good Brahman? Yes. What preparations do you make for them? We get ready a great feast. What happens if they dont arrive? Then we gladly eat it ourselves. Well, Brahman, youve invited me for a meal and youve entertained me with hard words. I want nothing from your preparation. So please take it back and eat it yourselves. Never retaliate in kind, the Buddha told his followers. Hatred does not come to an end through hatred but can only cease through generosity.

- Jataka Tale

In the beginning mindfulness takes away worries and fears about past and future and keeps us anchored in the present. In the end it points to the right view of the self.

- Ayya Khema, "Be An Island"

Return to “Philosophy”