Cats as signs?

Symbology and symbolism has always played a great role in the esoteric's sphere of life. Discuss everything about symbols here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

missy

Cats as signs?

Post by missy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:59 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to put it, and I'm not sure these mean anything at all, but last night as I was talking a walk through my neighborhood, I came across two cats. One of them was sitting on a driveway in front of me, staring at me, so I decided to kneel down and call him over. He came right away and I gave him a little pat then left for my walk again. The second cat was sitting in the exact middle of the path I was walking. I noticed it as I stepped onto the path, about 50 metres in front I saw it sitting there like it was waiting for something. Again it was staring right at me. I kept on walking the path and called it over once I got near enough, and this one also came right away, and I left after giving it a pat. Now, I watched as others behind me walked near the cats, and the cats always ran away from them. I don't know if I have some special connection with cats, or if this was a sign of some sort. Any insight appreciated :)

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:51 pm

Well in symbology terms cats are a complex subject to define.  Originally cats were seen as demonic force and wicked however they are also revered as royalty.

Cats are either well liked by people but there is also a body of people who dislike cats intensely.

From a symbology popint of view as opposed to a dream interpretation cats are seen as a sign of independance but conversely they are also seen as vulnerable and need looking after.

From your description, i think your definately a cat person.  Cats like attention and will come to some one who they believe is not a threat to them.  So i suspect your a pretty nice person.

Suzi

missy

Post by missy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:46 pm

Thankyou Suzi, that certainly makes sense :)

"From a symbology popint of view as opposed to a dream interpretation cats are seen as a sign of independance but conversely they are also seen as vulnerable and need looking after."

It's interesting that you say this, as I have been told by numerous psychics and palm readers etc that I am quite an independant person, yet at the same time I am vulnerable and need looking after, and i found that especially true on the night that i came across these cats (problems with friendship group). Of course, it could just be a major coincidence :) But it sure makes me think...

Lila

Cats

Post by Lila » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:08 pm

You may have had an encounter with your Totem Animal or these domestic felines may be introducing you to the world of their larger wilder cousins in the cat family. Most cats seem to share similar basic traits listed below.
In Ted Andrews "Animal Speak" , cats are symbolic of Mystery, Magick and Independence. Their Cycle of Power is the Night.
Cats were given a place of honour in ancient Egypt and were seen as Witches' familiars and were murdered along with their mistresses during the Burning Times (which led to an increase in plague rats causing untold deaths, silly humans).

Animals come into our lives to teach us. What has cat taught you? Discernment? knowing who to trust and who to run away from?
Do you need to exert your independence and spend some time on your own?
Do you need to become more comfortable with the darkness and face your fears?

Lila

Return to “Symbols”