Eye Symbology

Symbology and symbolism has always played a great role in the esoteric's sphere of life. Discuss everything about symbols here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

suzisco

Eye Symbology

Post by suzisco » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:05 pm

I was thinking that the Eye is probably one of the most commonly used symbols for human kind and represents many things to many people.

For me when i think of eyes i think of 2 things...

The eyes are the windows to the soul...which i am sure many people have heard.

The other thing i think of is the 3rd eye or the 6th chakra.

I think the image of an eye is a very powerful symbol and symbols with eyes are littered throughout history and the media.  

I wanted to know what other people think about the eye as a symbol and what it means to them? or what eye symbols they know?

suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:35 pm

The ancient Egyptians used the eye of Horus to protect their boats.
I found out that the Maltese do the same thing, so I bought a couple while I was out there teaching and stuck them on my boat, the trouble was I couldn't work out which way round they went and neither could one of the Maltese guys who'd come back for so extra teaching.
I stuck them on, left them to dry for a couple of days then took it out fishing in the bay. To cut a long and terrifying story short I sank and got hauled out by the lifeboat.
I never even thought about the eyes until you triggered the idea, thank you. I'll take them off before I got out again (my wife threatened to divorce me if I go out again, is that a fair swap?)
Stuart
P.S. How do you get an avatar over your name?

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:37 pm

I agree...we all hope that the eye is the window to our soul
But
Many times it is cluttered by our Ego.

In order for the eye to be the window to our soul, we need to work with our Ego, the one who always will tell us what we see...but colored by our preferences.

When you start to notice your Ego and then by meditation and enlightenment try to move your eye sight more towards "Your Higher Self", then you will notice that your view will change drastic, you will be much more calm and secure.

When people look such a person in the eye, then it will works like window to the soul :)

Hehehe but the last might not be under symbol discussion :)
Last edited by Rhutobello on Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:41 pm

Awatar...you do it from your CP  look below "Home" on the heading....it can't be more then 100*120 pixel....if you need help....post the picture here and I will reduce it for you :)

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:07 pm

I looked up the eye of Horus and saw that its used for alot of reasons but it does have a protective aspect.  Oh poor you about your boat, thats not so good.  I like my feet on the ground, I found some interesting facts about the Eye of Horus in this link, I thought you might want to have a look?

http://www.aloha.net/~hawmtn/horus.htm

aparently the eye of horus can be divided up and each bit has a meaning for our senses (all 6 of them)
thought is counted as a sense...before you all shout at me and tell me we have 5, 7, 8 etc lol!

I thought it was interesting.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:11 pm

ego state is a difficult one to quantify Rhutobello.  Many of us live in our ego states and pay no heed to our souls.  Meditation in the hectic frenetic world we live in is also relegated to the back burners by western society.

I always thought you can't comunicate with your higherself directly, least thats what i was taught in psychiatry.  I thought it was through dream state and sleeping you could pass messages to our higher state?

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:46 pm

I didn't say you came to your Higher self....but Move towards it.

By doing so, our ego's don't take priority we have a wider view...and since the ego don't play main role you will not be offended as before, you have easier to understand other.
But all is how you define it.

Just to make a picture of it....the extreme Ego is the Devil ...your Higher self is a God form (impossible to reach because you can't destroy your ego without destroying yourself)...but this is just my defination not any public one :)

pandoras_choice

Post by pandoras_choice » Tue May 01, 2007 4:31 pm

For me, the Eye represents Physical Life meeting Spiritual Awakening. I sketch tons of eyes in my work, because I see something that is hard to express in eyes, something that no words can describe because they are so essential to life we take them for granted. We live in these bodies and view our physical surroundings with our eyes, but our eyes also let out traces of the beings inside that no one else can fully understand. So, yes, I agree eyes are windows to the soul.

Because of my interpretation of eyes, they symbolize many things for me: grounding, rebirth, emotion, gods and goddesses, focusing energy, etc...

Saia

vision

Post by Saia » Sat May 05, 2007 2:37 am

The eye of horus, sometimes mistaken for the eye of Ra, and the all seing  eye, definately lead us to thoughts of awareness and waking up... to a new conciousness....
Intentionaly, Saia

linda olivieri

eyes

Post by linda olivieri » Fri May 11, 2007 9:26 pm

hi, I hope I don't get in trouble for joining in...I am having trouble finding where I should post my introduction. I read these posts, however, and felt a compelling need to share what experience(s) I had during a particularly arduous part of my 'journey.'  While about to be homeless, terribly frightened, and in a very unfamiliar area of a large unfamiliar city.  I was walking fast and furious, head down, determined to not be a victim of ??. Turning a corner, by a bar, a homeless-type, man stepped out of the dark and asked "how are you doing tonight?'.  I had recently received two black eyes from my husband, and was extremely scared and angry.  I took off my tinted glasses, looked straight at him, and said "How do you think I'm doing!" quite rudely.  He took my gaze and matched it without pity, anger, but CALM, and said "you will be alright now, the eyes are the windows to your soul." I later, would come to find out what that would mean.  I bless that traveler, who literally came out of nowhere...linda bb withwolfandraven/  wiccavixen :smt002  :)
hopeeverydayisabeautifulone.

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri May 11, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi Linda

I love your story. An angel pretending to be a homeless man!
I love love love love it!

P E A C E to you
and WELCOME to Mystic Board too.

Evie

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat May 12, 2007 11:08 am

Oh thats an excellent story and sounds like the turning point in your life?  Thanks for sharing that with us.

I always think its interesting how strangers can just do things for us that friends and family can't do.

What do you guys think?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun May 13, 2007 3:22 am

A few years ago I came across a homeless man who asked me for a dollar which I did not have, at that particular moment, or probably did not give or could not give! Those details aside, that was a moment that sticks with me still! This man was extremely tall, very handsome with flowing hair that could remind one of the 'popular' image of one of the recent prophets that walked amongst us (NO! I am not referring to the Phantom!!).

Had he been ugly, disfigured, reeking of alcohol or otherwise malodorous, would I have remembered him or written about on a public forum like this?

What is this that we have with God and Prophets being PERFECT?

Something to think about!

Rohiniranjan

[quote="Evie"]Hi Linda

I love your story. An angel pretending to be a homeless man!
I love love love love it!

P E A C E to you
and WELCOME to Mystic Board too.

Evie[/quote]

linda olivieri

eyes and their symbolic 'meanings'

Post by linda olivieri » Mon May 14, 2007 1:01 am

:smt051  :smt007

Happy Mother's Day to all.. (and I know some fathers out there that deserve kudos on this date!.)  I hope you are relaxing and enjoying the day as I plan to do.  If your house is like ours with three (9,10, 11), you may often endour days which go from  :smt008 to :  :smt019 to  :smt014 ,and MOM  :smt018 then  :smt013!   But today,  :smt041  :smt057 then this :smt020 ..(I hope I am not violating forum rules, but I would like to extend my home and hearth events as well, as they are also important to my 'vision quest' (spiritual sojourn, if you will). These events allow more "experienced travelers" to know where my 'dogs" (feet of course!) have been..
And with that, I would like to thank you VERY, VERY much for the words of encouragement!  I would like to continue to share more on symbolic meanings. I have many more  "eye' experiences, but I would like to ask a question which I should already 'know', as well all are born with ALL, however, some of the 'signs' and 'coincedences', seem to become blurred as a result of the cross-over of world and military affairs, and the 'directional' signs and symbols which guide travelers towards 'people whom you can Trust. "  When advised by officials whose 'stature' and 'affiliations' were a mix of stern warnings and criptic 'follow' the signs' type of behaviors, I determined that I was to leave the state, and lay low, until the trial.  Evidently, there were many contributing factors surrounding my husbands arrest; the LEAST of which, I also determined, was the attempted murder charge he incurred prior to me encountering my 'hidden angel' ..Had I ever even contemplated denouncing ever y material possession, not to mention, family, friends, a roof over my head; (It was made VERY clear to me that even the use of a phone would not be in my best interest!), my lack of self-esteem and powerlessness seemed insurmountable.  I met many 'free-lance' angel 'travelers' while trekking between NV and AZ by the soles of my feet and the 'souls" of everyone outthere who were 'expecting' me!!  Some even had clothes and necessities waiting for me, correct sizes and all!!  I know that I can share these events in safety and confidence here.. As much as the eyes are our windows to the soul..  One of the most important lessons I am STILL learning is that if you really pay attention, you will learn when to speak, when to remain cautious, and most importantly when TO LISTEN!  Thank you all , again, for taking the time to 'listen' to me.. mm and blesswdbe..linda  :smt006  :smt051
hopeeverydayisabeautifulone.

Return to “Symbols”