symbolic meaning of rainbows

Symbology and symbolism has always played a great role in the esoteric's sphere of life. Discuss everything about symbols here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

doogatyee

symbolic meaning of rainbows

Post by doogatyee » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:12 pm

just wondering if anyone knows  what a rainbow might be symbolic of? or what if there is not actual symbolic meaning how do you interept the meaning?

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:43 pm

a rainbow is a symbol of hope eternal and of good fortune.  apologies for not replying sooner.

SphinxsDancer

Post by SphinxsDancer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:43 am

you know .. not meaning to be rude or anything.. but that completly makes sense

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:51 am

your not being rude, thank you for the reply, its nice to hear feed back from forum members.

If i can help you in any way please let me know SphinxsDancer.

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

SphinxsDancer

Post by SphinxsDancer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:59 pm

thank you  and your welcome... :D

Loren Nicol'e

Post by Loren Nicol'e » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:12 am

my parents told me growing up that a rainbow meant that god would never flood the earth again.

SphinxsDancer

Post by SphinxsDancer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:20 am

wow thats a neat way of looking at it

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:59 am

Loren Nicol'e wrote:my parents told me growing up that a rainbow meant that god would never flood the earth again.
That is "The Covenant of The Rainbow."  The bow was God's seal and to serve as a reminder to never tear flesh from man or beast by means of floods that would destroy the earth. Read Genesis 8:1 - 9:17

Here's a snippet:

8 Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying: 9 “And as for Me, behold, I establish My covenant with you and with your descendants after you, 10 “and with every living creature that is with you: the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you, of all that go out of the ark, every beast of the earth. 11 “Thus I establish My covenant with you: Never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood; never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” 12 And God said: “This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 “I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 “It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 “and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 “The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” 17 And God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Thanks Angelique, it was good to read that again.
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Nug

Post by Nug » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:58 pm

Well, rainbows come after the rain? So maybe that things are going to get better?

Teressa

Rainbows

Post by Teressa » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:37 am

I remember going through a period of depression/darkness and wondering why I had not seen a rainbow in a while.
I recovered and began to smile again. Then I remember, out of nowhere came one of the most beautiful rainbows
I had ever seen! Therefore, I believe it has a lot to do with the state of mind that you are in, as to. whether or
not one is privileged enough to see rainbows!

Rohiniranjan

Re: Rainbows

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:29 am

Dear Teressa,

Something that came to me quite a few years ago, I submit here! Hopefully would still make sense to you or someone who may be reading this :-)

=========================================
RAINBOWS  ALWAYS HAVE  A  PAST
Rainbows make my heart so sad
I know that'll make you wonder why
I try to see the beautiful sight
All I remember are clouds so dark
that wiped the virgin blue off the sky
that squelched the golden sun away,
brought this lightning bright and harsh
that burned a gaping hole in my heart.
And the torrents that washed the fields away
that tore the bridge that joined those two
and yet they call it a symbol of love
Can this really be Cupid's bow?
I wish my heart could sing with joy
I wish I could dance with the rest of you
as you sing its glory bright
and wrapped in its magnificient colors
you feel your souls rising in hope
as children look up in curious glee
my heart just sinks and sobs its tears
I love the sight of a rainbow bright
But is it right to forget the storm in its past?

19JUL1993 6:18P

[quote="Teressa"]I remember going through a period of depression/darkness and wondering why I had not seen a rainbow in a while.
I recovered and began to smile again. Then I remember, out of nowhere came one of the most beautiful rainbows
I had ever seen! Therefore, I believe it has a lot to do with the state of mind that you are in, as to. whether or
not one is privileged enough to see rainbows![/quote]

happyme

Post by happyme » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:37 am

Was really down during the holidays, but feeling a lot improved now, what is interesting is I saw a print of a rainbow against my wall and one on my kitchen counter. :)

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Rainbows are magical symbols of connection....they connect this world with the spirit world.  They represent the communication between the worlds.  And they are a bridge from one side to the other.  All in all they are connection points.

And they come with a little pot of gold (prosperity) at the end.  Grab your own joys.
God bless, J

Hestia NicLoch

I'm SO late on all these forums!

Post by Hestia NicLoch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:38 am

"Rainbows are magical symbols of connection....they connect this world with the spirit world.  They represent the communication between the worlds.  And they are a bridge from one side to the other.  All in all they are connection points.

And they come with a little pot of gold (prosperity) at the end.  Grab your own joys."

I totally agree with the connection...

In Greek legend, it was the Goddess Iris (the namesake for the Iris of your eye because of the many colors eyes come in) going down to Earth to take a message from the Gods Themselves to people/deities on Earth.

In Norse mythology, the rainbow was the bridge that connected the home of the Gods (Asgard) to Earth. Heimdall stood watch at the base, making sure all was right in the world.

I like the one with Iris best!

Return to “Symbols”