Religious and Symbolic Correspondences

Symbology and symbolism has always played a great role in the esoteric's sphere of life. Discuss everything about symbols here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

aedria

Religious and Symbolic Correspondences

Post by aedria » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:13 am

I have been studying Crowley's liber 777, which has many correspondences that relate different symbols of different religions in order to strengthen the religious idea in the mind for ceremonial magick purposes and also for understanding the universe in totality.  

I have some native american teachings in mind, and was thinking of doing some research corresponding the medicine wheel with the tree of life of the Golden Dawn.  I'm not sure if this has been done yet.  I am curious to find some feedback here on such a large board as to ideas, some correspondences that may be significant, and the entire idea of relating some of the oldest american religious symbols and reconcileing them with religious symbolism and meaning from around the world.  Any thoughts?
"For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.'' Liber Al. vel. Legis

Lady of Avalon

Post by Lady of Avalon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:33 pm

I found the Liber 777 way too dark and evil for my tastes, I prefer to live in the light and to look for the good in people rather than follow a rather suspect character like Crowley. I do like the Thoth though but that I feel is probably because of it's truer basis rather than a Crowley handbook. Many decks already have a Tree of Life/Medicine wheel symbology, try investigating the directions and levels and then the shield and you will see :)
posted with blessings from Avalon......

Sometimes faces need to be hidden so Truth can be seen

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:41 pm

There is a thread here in symbols about the tree of life.  Andymonk has dedicated alot of time looking at the tree of life.

I wish you luck on your project.  I suspect you have caught Crowley's bug and are on a quest to search for something.

I also wondered what you meant by "the oldest american religious symbols" do you mean the native population or the newer immigrant population?
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

stan-wells

Liber 777 and Native

Post by stan-wells » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:18 am

I see no problem with the attempt to reconcile the symbolics of native and Liber 777.  what was being attempted there was to correlate all religious symbolism into a matrix that could be used for a spiritual path that was not within the normal.  The very least would be that you would find more out about the religions and spiritual paths of others. That, of course, was Crowley's goal.  His path was only dark due to his addiction, his true path, like that of others, was to find enlightenment through the expansion of his spiritual beliefs.  Liber 777 has been rematrixed - don't remember the man who did it, but I have heard that it was more easily understood than Liber 777.  There are many other tables and charts of other "magicks" that could be added to both lists, of course.  

Good luck on your journey.

stan

Return to “Symbols”