Open for discussion: What does this symbol mean to you?

Symbology and symbolism has always played a great role in the esoteric's sphere of life. Discuss everything about symbols here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

tourbi

Open for discussion: What does this symbol mean to you?

Post by tourbi » Thu May 22, 2008 4:45 am

Part of the fun of being psychic is understanding our own symbolism.
Some symbols are universal symbols and yet there can be internal meanings different from anyone else.

I thought is would be fun to start bringing some symbols, some everyday symbols, some not........ just to discuss, share meaning, learn ffrom each other.

Part of the fun, there are so many people here from so many cultures and beliefs, it will be fun to see what comes from all these differences.

dhav

Post by dhav » Thu May 22, 2008 1:29 pm

The serpent is sacred and highly respected I the hindu culture.Many hindu gods are shown with serpents with them.The lord shiva got one around his neck which is said according to the mythology to cool down his burning neck.Lord Shiva was said to have drunk that poison to save the universe from it.in hindu culture when one offers the serpent milk and pray it it will be forever faithfu to you and your family.It therefore protects.

The serpent is also associated with the Kundalini.It is the animal representing transformation.When one is spiritually awakening he is thus transforming which is most likely that it is associated with kundalini serpent.The kundalini dance is also associated with the movement of a snake.
OnLy*I*LoVe*U~~I am a sweet Lovely Girl

Molissa

Post by Molissa » Thu May 22, 2008 1:30 pm

snake for me always means new growth.  Shedding of "something", a belief, a fear, a relationship whatever.  but snake is positive for me.  
I'm not afraid of them in the physical sense, and when I see the real ones, get the same sense of change, shedding, new growth.
cool topic. I hadn't thought of keeping a dictionary of my own symbols and meanings.  I'll start  one, I think. Thanks!
Caution: I brake for faeries, elves, dragons, unicorns and other mystical creatures only I can see.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Thu May 22, 2008 4:28 pm

snake was the tempter and encouraged  eve to eat the apple of knowledge. Snake is seen as an evil influence.
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Thu May 22, 2008 6:38 pm

When I married my second wife she asked me if I wanted a wedding ring, I knew a jeweler so I got him to make a ring to my design.
My ring is two intertwinned snakes, with a ruby in each for eyes and it still firs perfectly.
Some days you are the cart and other days the horse; either way you still get shafted.

"I thought you'd be bigger," (read it how you will).

Molissa

Post by Molissa » Thu May 22, 2008 6:48 pm

what do the snakes sybolize for you, Prof?
Caution: I brake for faeries, elves, dragons, unicorns and other mystical creatures only I can see.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm

The intertwinned nature of love, the way we sleep, the way she reads my mind, she really is my soul mate and I'm still a swine to her but I do love her.
Some days you are the cart and other days the horse; either way you still get shafted.

"I thought you'd be bigger," (read it how you will).

Molissa

Post by Molissa » Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm

I just found where serpent and snake are of different orders.
who knew?!

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Thu May 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Serpent is a synonym for snake.

Serpent can also mean:

* Serpent (symbolism), the name given to a snake in a religious or mythological context
.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ser·pent    Audio Help   /ˈsɜrpənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sur-puhnt] Pronunciation Key -
–noun
1. a snake.
2. a wily, treacherous, or malicious person.
3. the Devil; Satan. Gen. 3:1–5.
4. a firework that burns with serpentine motion or flame.
5. an obsolete wooden wind instrument with a serpentine shape and a deep, coarse tone. Compare ophicleide.
Ok, here is the book larnin'  Image
I'm still curious what your (each of you reading this) personal meanings/ thoughts are.

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Thu May 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Molissa wrote: cool topic. I hadn't thought of keeping a dictionary of my own symbols and meanings.  I'll start  one, I think. Thanks!
Some people keep a note book next to their beds to keep symbols from their dreams.
My friend who is so visual, started trusting himself and his own meanings and was able to do a lot of really great readings.  

It's interesting how in some cultures the snake/serpent, is positive, in others, it's negative.  
Also how each person sees it/them differently.
I love symbolism and becoming friends with symbols.
Stand in Love,Walk in Love, Live in Love ड़ारा
Nora Roberts
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.

Molissa

Post by Molissa » Fri May 23, 2008 12:30 am

tourbi, how do you see the snake?

dhav

Post by dhav » Fri May 23, 2008 12:37 am

I have also notice things about snakes in dreams.They usually depict some secret enemy doing nasty things against oneself. And they usually turn out right.

But lately when my mindset changed about snakes the dreams about them changed.They mostly depicted transformation.
OnLy*I*LoVe*U~~I am a sweet Lovely Girl

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Fri May 23, 2008 1:35 am

dhav wrote:I have also notice things about snakes in dreams.They usually depict some secret enemy doing nasty things against oneself. And they usually turn out right.

But lately when my mindset changed about snakes the dreams about them changed.They mostly depicted transformation.
Well Molissa,
When I was a little girl I had a recurring dream, a huge snake, the size of the doors to squeeze thru, would mind it's way thru the house.  In the corner there would be a weird face laughing, and tons of the kind of laughter of being laughed at.
Mother was and is terrifyed of snakes and passed the gift on to me.

Sooooooooo.
I have become friends with most snakes.  I am not intimate with them.  I don't have one and I don't hold them.
I see them as transition, when shedding skin.
I guess it depends on the context as to whether they are "attacking" or not, as to how I see them.  I think they contribute a great deal to the planet and ecology, they also can be very threatening and frightening.
They are like many things, they are more complicated than just good/bad, right/wrong.
So, it will depend on the context of the dream or where the symbol is.

dhav, I think that is really neat.  It's a good point too.
Nora Roberts
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.

Molissa

Post by Molissa » Fri May 23, 2008 3:17 am

thanks, tourbi.
I like the symbols discussion since, like you said, I see 2 sides to all the "symbols" in my dreams /encounters etc.  so I appreciate hearing how others see the same symbol.

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Fri May 23, 2008 3:31 am

I have found a bunch, I'm setting them up in my program for adding images.  
I thought we can have more fun.  Image
Nora Roberts

Return to “Symbols”