Meaning of Solomonic glyphs

Symbology and symbolism has always played a great role in the esoteric's sphere of life. Discuss everything about symbols here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

stan-wells

Meaning of Solomonic glyphs

Post by stan-wells » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 am

I have looked for a while now without success so I turn to you good people.  The Greater Key of Solomon has "characters" which are to be carved or drawn on the magical tools (wands, staffs, swords, etc).  I have been unable to translate them and find no reference as to what the characters mean.  

Any help would be appreciated.

stan

Crow

Post by Crow » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Came back to edit this post since yesterday I just had those silly girlish giggles all day long!  Never was my intention to make light of this subject.  For all who are this advanced, my hats off to you.  I have studied this on occassion but do not have the reasons to pursue this. Not yet...perhaps later in my life.  I cannot begin to stress how important it is that before jumping in, one needs to understand all that they are about to perform. Lest we make a great big blunder!  While on the "esotericarchive" website I found much literature.  There is a link there on the site for "The Vericles Clavicles" hit that, then scroll to the bottom, and you will hit the next button on the bottom of the page. This clicks over to the translated in detail version of this article. In those pages you will find the names for the different symbols.   Again wasn't sure if this is exactly what you were asking for.  Hard for me to talk about since I still retain some of the memory.  Not to be attempted until one has studied their way to that point.  Having seen many younger than me trying these feats.  I was just being a bit protective.  Just my nature.  Still trying to not write in sillyness, but that is the joker in me.  My partner has scolded me on many a days for this.  I say it is to remind me not to get so serious about myself that I loose sight.  Again I am no where near this level. Perhaps spiritualy yes, but not fully awake yet.  Need more of that coffee. ;)  This is a website that I hope will help those who study.  My appologies for yesterday.

Safe Journey

stan-wells

Solomonic glyphs

Post by stan-wells » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:46 pm

I would like to have read the earlier post before you edited it, but found no offense in what you wrote.  The text you link to is one that I have and it does not contain the information.  

I have been researching for numerous years, but I am sure you have a greater understanding of the text than I.  Could you direct me to what you believe to be the translations of the inscriptions.  

I am using the S. Liddell MacGregor Mathers translation of the Greater Key of Solomon, Book 2, Chapter 8, regarding the items.

I would never take these 3500 year old religious ceremonies lightly any more than I take Egyptian or Summerian ceremonies lightly.  Sometimes we get mis-directed by those who are not seekers, but my question is for personal information and we are not bound to understand prior to belief.  We do not need to know the meaning of (or even the pronunciation of) some of the barbaric names used in rituals either, but I do my best to find out as much as I can whilst developing the art.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Comming back to add here since I do not wish to bump in thread.  Reviewed and of course a formula. Cannot help the reason you are not finding the meaning is that this info is passed in oral form.  The reason one half is held back.  The power lies in the one who performs it. Symbols just help one to focus.  Going back inside for a while. Found myself rather disappointed in my ability to translate this stuff.  I look at all relgions trying to find the missing link to all.  Try as I may logic excapes me.  More layman's terms.  Perhaps it is the fact that logic and reason being the reason we overlook. Dunno.  I have seen this in Crowley's writings...but where?  This leaves me even more disheartened.  Like the greatest brain fart ever.  I'll never belong to the club...lol.  Always thought outside the box.  Never one to bend to rules and such.  Still tender hearted in reguards to love.  Not taking well to my path. Serve yes, but I still like my companionships.  More homesick then ever.  Trying to help those when I can.  In this I am afraid I will not be able to help.  It is like all but a few things excape me.  Now I go and wrestle with myself yet again. I am only a simple minded woman.

Safe Journey
Last edited by Crow on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stan-wells

Solomonic Glyphs

Post by stan-wells » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Thank you, Crow, and a safe journey to you as well.  

My path is long, but I have learned much.  I have much more, though, left to learn.  And Agrippa noted as did Abramelin that it is best to keep some of our information for ourselves lest it fall into the wrong hands.  I think that bodes back to the time of the witch hunts and before when the knowledge that we have available was considered heretical.  Now we are mostly just thought of as strange or eccentric even though what we may be studying is the information that brought about the formations of most of the world religions.

But my path is my path, not yours.  blessed be.

stan

Silvaglo

Post by Silvaglo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:39 am

Have you looked in the Greater and Lesser Keys of Solomon? I have all of the Solomonic Grimoires if you interested in them please let me know and I will do my best to get them to you. :)
Hugz & BB,

Silvaglo

stan-wells

solomonic glyphs

Post by stan-wells » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:13 pm

yes, I have both greater and lesser keys and haven't found the answer.  they tell you to use them on your tools, but do not tell you what they mean.

stan

Silvaglo

Post by Silvaglo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Can you send me pics?
Hugz & BB,

Silvaglo

Silvaglo

Post by Silvaglo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:19 pm

Raymond Buckland's book, "Signs Symbols & Omens shows the same wand with the same sigil's on it and the only thing I have been able to find is basically in there. He says that they are Ceremonial Magical Sigils and they were used by Gardner as well as Huson and originated, as you already know, from The Key of Solomon. I'm still trying to find the meanings for each of the sigils and if/when I do I will post them for you. :)
Hugz & BB,

Silvaglo

Silvaglo

Post by Silvaglo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:47 pm

I was flipping through the "Witches Bible" by "Janet & Stewart Farrar" and on page 297 of Part 2 it says: "The Key of Solomon gives markings for the wand which appear to be one of the many magical alphabets (found opposite p.64 of Barrett's The Magus, Book II).

I found a site where you can download The Magus I & II and the link below will take you there.

http://digitalseance.wordpress.com/2007 ... s-barrett/

Now it is just a matter of finding the right ones and decoding. :)
Hugz & BB,

Silvaglo

stan-wells

Magus

Post by stan-wells » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:35 pm

yeah, i have the Magus.  It is just a plagiarized Agrippa and it was of no use.  And nothing by Dee was helpful as it does not appear to be one of the "Angelic" languages which is what I originally thought, however I have found no reference to any of the Angelic languages outside of Dee's circle so not sure that would have been a big help anyway.  I have checked hieroglyphs from Egypt and some glyphs from the Summarian area of infuence.  Based on the age and location of the works attributed to Solomon, I would have thought they would translate through one of those, but I have had no luck so far.  

I do appreciate the help, though.  

stan

Silvaglo

Post by Silvaglo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Your welcome stan and I am still looking also. It looks to me as though they may have combined a couple of sigils in there but I obviously could be wrong. I did see a couple of them in the Magus II book though. :) I'm also thinking it could be the old Hebrew if you can access it, I would like the link if you find one. :) Given the fact that it did originate in the Key of Solomon I would be surprised if it isn't old Hebrew. Personally, I think that the sigils are there for protection of the wand and the wand's owner. I have hundreds of books and eventually I will find it. lol  You have me hooked on this now and I can't leave it alone so hopefully one of us will turn something up. lol Take care!
Hugz & BB,

Silvaglo

stan-wells

glyphs

Post by stan-wells » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:06 am

I checked the Magus, again, but no luck in there.  I tried Hebrew, but not even close.  Enochian was no.  Coptic is close, but not.  I think the end result is that it will probably be a runic form of glyph as opposed to a language.  Being 11 glyphs and only 7 known planets would probably rule out astrological.  The Sephiroth is only 10.  I am unaware of a system of belief based on 11 symbolic entities.  I "assume" as you state that it is probably a warding to protect the holder of the magickal tool from - whatever.  

I have been looking for  a while.  Since I assume the books to be "real" I must assume that the glyphs mean something.  It very well may be that they are a "barbaric" language that, in reality, never existed except for being placed on the tools.  Frequently barbaric names - or mispronounced names that were perversions of real names - were used in ritual magick.  Possibly the glyphs are truely combined sigils of known phonic sounds of the barbaric names.  I will keep looking also.

Silvaglo

Post by Silvaglo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:28 am

Yeah, I ruled out the planets, astrological and a few others as well. :) As far as the Kabbalah goes, I plan on looking in a book on the Greek Qabalah. Now the pic of the wand that you have shows 11 sigils and the one that is in Raymond Bucklands book shows the same but combines the first two so there are only 10. Your correct about the 10 Sephiroth but there is also Da'ath in the Abyss, the un-Sephirah. I think we will be lucky if either of us actually finds it written somewhere defined. :) I'm not giving up on trying to unravel the mystery though. lol I have hundreds of books to go through, all is not lost. :) I have quite a few books on the Kabbalah, Qabala, Cabalah, however you prefer to spell it and the Glossary and Dictionary and will go through all of them. I may try to combine some symbols/sigils to see what I can come up with. Some of these remind me of the old shorthand I use to do. lol
Hugz & BB,

Silvaglo

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:16 am

Stan,

Long time no post. Tonight I couldn't sleep so I went surfing again.  Was guided to the The Emerald Tablets, which led to the Rosicrucian Library.  Again not sure about the technical stuff.  Never one to memorize all that complex stuff.  Simple minded as ever! ;)  

For some reason I remembered that you were seeking more info. Not seeing the tie but I haven't finished yet. Was moved to share this information with you.  Perhaps this might help a bit.

Anyways this is where I am in my path, a worthy read to say the least.  Take care.

Safe Journey

.scribd.com/doc/4003333/Our-Story-of-Atlantis-Written-Down-for-the-Hermetic-Brotherhood-1903
.crcsite.org/Tabula.htm

Return to “Symbols”