The Triquetra and Its Meaning

Symbology and symbolism has always played a great role in the esoteric's sphere of life. Discuss everything about symbols here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

LADYSILVERMOONGODDESS32

The Triquetra and Its Meaning

Post by LADYSILVERMOONGODDESS32 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:18 pm

riquetra (Triqueta)

The triquetra (often, triqueta) is a tripartate symbol composed of three interlocked vesica pisces, marking the intersection of three circles. It is most commonly a symbol of the Holy Trinity (Father, son, Holy spirit) used by the Celtic Christian Church, sometimes stylized as three interlaced fish:

The triqueta symbol predates Christianity and was likely a Celtic symbol of the Goddess, and in the North, a symbol of the god Odin. Although it is often asserted that the triquetra is a symbol of a tripartite goddess, no such goddess has been identified with the symbol. Similar symbols do occur in some Norse and Celtic goddess imagery, but most likely represents the divisions of the animal kingdom and the three domains of earth mentioned above. Triplicities were common symbols in Celtic myth and legend, one of the possible reasons Christian beliefs were so easily adopted by the Celtic people.

The triqueta makes an ideal Christian symbol. It is a perfect representation of the concept of "three in one" in Christian trinity beliefs, and incorporates another popular Christian symbol, the fish, in its original form of the vesica pisces. It is sometimes enclosed within a circle to emphasize the unity aspect.

In Wiccan and Neopagan belief, the triqueta symbolizes the triple aspected goddess (maid, mother, and crone). Some Christians have protested this "appropriation" of the symbol...however, ironically enough, the original Christian fish symbol was derived from an early symbol of venus, one representing female generative organs- making the triquetra perfectly appropriate symbol for a Goddess revival. The triquetra is also considered to represnt the triplicities of mind, body, and soul, as well as the three domains of earth according to Celtic legend- earth, sea, and sky.

The triquetra also appears on the television series Charmed, probably as a less threatening alternative to the pentacle (the preferred emblem of witches real and imaginary). In the show, it represents the "power of three, acting as one " which in turn represents the three sisters.

Evangelical tract writers and conspiracy theorists like to label the triquetra a 'satanic' symbol, claiming it is a 'stylized' 666, an allusion to the 'number of the beast' in the Book of Revelation. This, however, is simply wishful thinking. The triquetra of interlaced fishes is one of the very earliest of Christian symbols, predating the crucifix by hundreds of years. The purported 'satanic' meaning of the symbol is a modern evangelical interpolation.

KingAcePD

Post by KingAcePD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 am

Yeah, I would say the Triquetra being a sign of evil is very wishful thinking.

It is a sign of good and unity.

I've adopted it as my personal symbol along with the clover, which also means unity.

I use the Triquetra for the following:
- Mind, Body, Soul
- Father, Son, Holy Spirit

I also use it as a symbol of subconsciousness, spirituality and intuition.

Return to “Symbols”