Question on Symbology...

Symbology and symbolism has always played a great role in the esoteric's sphere of life. Discuss everything about symbols here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

CMyst77

Question on Symbology...

Post by CMyst77 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:24 am

I wasn't sure where to post this topic as it pertains to symbology and dream interpretation...  so...  okay... how to phrase it?!  LOL

Are symbols pretty much interpreted the same way regardless of their origionation?  For example...  If I DREAMED I saw an oyester with a pearl in it, does it mean the same thing if I saw the same thing at the bottom of my coffee cup?  LOL  How about if I saw it in meditation?  or some other medium?  Just curious as there seems to be a lot of differences in the interpretations depending on the circumstances and situations in which they were divinated...

Don't know if I'm making any sense...  Just was curious!  LOL

Much love and happiness!
~Cory

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:25 am

Well yes there is some similar interpretations for some items but in my expeience dream interpretations are very different from physical symbology.

the ideas behind symbology interpretation is usually to do with local legend, social customs and mores.

Dream symbology often has a more scientific underpinning were a number of people have researched this and there is a standard set of definitions.

Hope this helps?

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Most of the time symbols in dreams are different that psychic symbols.  In dreams we are resolving our emotions and the symbols would have to deal with the emotions.  In psychic work the symbols are there to describe our mental, physical or spiritual approach to life.  So they would/could be interpreted different than dreams.
God bless, J

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:23 pm

:) Hello, Cory!

I am only familiar with dream symbols, and my experience is that they are very specific and personal, not only to the dreamer, but even to the dreamer's special circumstances. That is, you could dream of your oyster today and get a meaning according to your present situation. Then dream of an oyster 5 years from now and its meaning could have nothing to do with the first, unless... Oysters have a special meaning for you so that they come up in your dreams more often than usual -think oyster or any other personal symbol of yours-. That could mean you have integrated a certain element into your dream vocabulary and use it to represent certain situations, persons and/or, quite often, moods or feelings.

I believe phychic and cultural symbols are more permanent and widely shared. For example, we tend to associate an oyster and its pearl with something precious, delicate or hidden. Just a wild guess, though  :smt002
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

Rook

Post by Rook » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:14 am

The thing with symbols is that they are not objective like words that mean one particular thing and one thing only.  They are subjective, and the meaning of the symbol is not just dependent on what it is itself.  It's almost like a metaphor, and a puzzle.

In the case of an oyster and pearl, it is generally a symbol of wisdom, but could also be a symbol of wealth, status, achievement (esp in relation to opening [the oyster]).  It can have an entire meriad of meanings, the task is in finding the right meaning, or else the meaning that applies (as there may be multiple 'correct' meanings).

So in response to the original question, does it mean the same thing?  I would say you are correct, it is not necissarily the same meaning.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Defining symbols can be a very personal matter.  We all have our backgrounds, education, culture, and all factors of our being to use in what a particular thing would mean to a particular person.

Taking our symbol of the oyster with a pearl.....Out of a little grain of sand that falls into the oyster a pearl is formed.  There are many false representations of pearls (from throwing pearls before swine to pearls being a symbol of sadness or pearls of wisdom) you can see many interpretations.  And of course the hidden aspect, it is formed in the darkness of the inner oyster.

When it is defining our emotions from a dream it is where we stand in our life at that present moment.  What is real and functioning to us at the time.  Out of the darkness and inner being a pearl has been formed.  What are you going to do with the treasure that is you?

As a psychic symbol I would say its meaning would be very spiritual in finding the pearl out of the darkness of its formation.
God bless, J

PetraVanilla

Post by PetraVanilla » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi Cory,

I can't add much to all the great info already given, but I think it's a great deal in your perception, based on your personal and cultural background. I dreamed of a tattoo of double fish on my back a little while back... Some people hate tattoos, some like em and some do them (as a job), fish are a symbol of wealth and luck, but what if you see fish on a daily basis, because you work with them... so many interpretations... also ALWAYS consider the context. Your dreams usually refer to about the last 3 days of subjective life experience, fears etc, premonition dreams can sometimes tell things a long time in advance and may not be as subjective, divination is a request to the spiritual world to give guidance, and it might be a good question where this guidance is coming from, people have channeled spirits and spirit guides and not understood symbolism they were presented with until the guide clarified it from their own perspective. And then, you may do a reading for someone else and see symbols that mean absolutely nothing to you, but to the other person it may mean a great big deal! Regardless, I prefer to use my intuition and usually am quite successful in that.
Petra
"There is no try - just do"
Learn about what I do :) http://petrasando.us

Return to “Symbols”