BUDDHIST WISDOM

Spiritual mysticism for mystics and magical topics of any kind.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

BUDDHIST WISDOM

Post by Pravin Kumar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Be quick in doing what's admirable. Restrain your mind from what's evil. When you're slow in making merit, evil delights the mind.

- Dhammapada, 9, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Trivial thoughts, insignificant thoughts, When followed they distract the mind. Not understanding those thoughts The roaming mind runs back and forth. But by understanding those thoughts One ardent and mindful restrains the mind. An awakened one has overcome them completely So they do not arise to distract the mind.

- Udana

Good friends, recite in unison what I say: I vow to save all sentient beings everywhere. I vow to cut off all the passions everywhere. I vow to study all the Buddhist teachings everywhere. I vow to achieve the unsurpassed Buddha Way.

- The Sutra of Hui-Neng, adapted from the translations by Philip Yampolsky and A.F. Price

When you observe your mind with penetration, Stir not ardent passion nor attachment Lest the devil of desire possess you. Son, rest at east and without hope.

- Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa

But I say and I protestdon't stop your quest while anything further remains to be discovered or done. What further needs to be done? You must train yourselves, saying: 'We will become unsullied in our conduct, brilliant and pure. We will neither exalt ourselves nor look down on anyone else.'

- Digha Nikaya

"How can I tell that you are an enlightened person?" asked Sela the brahman of the Buddha. "I know what should be known," answered the Buddha, "and what should be cultivated, I have cultivated. What should be abandoned, I have let go, In this way, O brahman, I am awake."

- Sutta Nipata

Happy is one who knows samsara and nirvana are not two.

- Milarepa, "Drinking the Mountain Stream"

Be quick in doing what's admirable. Restrain your mind from what's evil. When you're slow in making merit, evil delights the mind.

- Dhammapada, 9, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All love life. See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? What harm can you do?

- Dhammapada 129-130

Return to “Spirituality”