Materialism and Spirituality

Spiritual mysticism for mystics and magical topics of any kind.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

amalimrock

Materialism and Spirituality

Post by amalimrock » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:44 am

This is something that has intrigued me for quite some time. I understand there are a lot of spiritualist who say that one should get rid of materialism in order to achieve enlightenment. But I've been thinking and debating with myself lately.

I like having material possessions, especially possessions that are helpful for my talents ie: a guitar, pencil and sketchbook/paper, a computer for leisure etc etc. I'm also born with a silver spoon in my mouth (or something among those lines) which might of explain why I like my possessions I also feel that materialism is what makes our physical world joyous. Spirituality is also about having a high vibration, in other words, happy, in order to connect with your Higher Self. So, if we were to abandon materialism, doesn't it tip off the scale?

Also, to me, materialism is like your own attachment to Earth and the Physical plane. If we abandon materialism, aren't we abandoning our life on Earth as well?

I have also read in another post, that ego is what is keeping us to be materialistic and greedy. I don't think I'm greedy; I extend a helping hand whenever and however I can. I am aware of the existence of poverty and I feel there should be some concern and help given to them, and I feel there is a need for someone who should take action to reduce poverty and bring joy to them. Some enlightened Yogis in India feel they should not interfere with this, so if one abandons materialism, doesn't that mean one is not willing to extend a helping hand?

EDIT: Another point to make, if we abandon materialism, then why are there spiritual authors selling books?

I would like to hear your opinions about this. ps: If I sound offensive to you, I'm sorry, because debating about this has also brought me down to a lower vibe.

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:31 am

Balance is key. It sounds like you have a good attitude about material things which has contributed to your being blessed in that regard. There's important things like not possessing physical objects. It's alright if they belong to you, like a guitar belongs with someone who plays it type of thing. Too much materialism can bad, just as too much austerity can be bad. A certain amount of austerity can be necessary to learn certain lessons but these lessons can be learned other ways like from anthers experience. The most important thing about material matters is equality and things going where they are needed. The view that materialism is bad refers to when it is taken to harmful extremes. You would know if you fit into this category. Unless of course you had suffered a loss of consciousness.

Perhaps spiritual authors sell books because material people read them and it's a way of getting messages into the spheres they are aware of to help point them in a better direction.
"Permacultre is revolution disguised  as gardening"

amalimrock

Post by amalimrock » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks on your view Aegeus. I guess it makes more sense if we can say that the authors took the word materialism in a bad way. I'd say, like how you stated, that there are it's goods and bads. This is just what spirituality is about - balance. I must've also exaggerated a bit on that matter, stating points like a debate. Thanks again for your opinion :)

sidchowdary

hi

Post by sidchowdary » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:31 pm

about the books without books how can , kids r beginners learn about it
GAUTAMCHALASANI

TheAlchemist

Post by TheAlchemist » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:48 pm

I believe that there is nothing wrong with material things....you can be spiritual and have material things...I too have had some heated debates on this topic...and of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but I don`t think material things are "evil" according to some...If your things bring you joy then oh what a wonderful feeling to appreciate your blessings and share that with others....peace my friend...enjoy the material world...it IS God given!
Peace

Aegeus

Re: hi

Post by Aegeus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:40 am

sidchowdary wrote:about the books without books how can , kids r beginners learn about it
The Maori's of New Zealand never wrote anything down till the British came. There language has also evolved to be easier to remember as a result. The best way to learn is a direct teaching. The Maori would have form of school some of the year(likely the winter) and had ways of creating and environment and mood which made it much easier to focus and retain lessons.

The Celtics believed writing was for the weak of mind and never wrote anything down, they also had ways of teaching and handing down their knowledge.

I think books can serve a purpose if they are inspired and contain good info well articulated in a form that can not be abused.

A lot of cultures didn't write things down as a way of protecting their knowledge from falling into hands which might abuse it.

santhosh.G

Post by santhosh.G » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:08 am

absolutely,there is no word to quit materialism in spirituality...Lord Krishna advocated the bhagawat gita to Arjuna, in the middle of the battlefield.Yudhishtira was crowned the king after the war and they performed the Rajasuya in all pomp and glory...In the midst of extreme pleasures and extreme adversities when one can remain composed...calm then that equal vision is spirituality...this the meaning of the word 'samadhi'..where u r not elated by gains not crushed by falls..where nothing in the world can rob you of your smile..as my guru has said..that is spirituality..being detached, upholding your duties and righteousness..u can enjoy anything and everything within your own limits such that your mind is not thrown out of its balance, its self centeredness.

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:42 pm

santhosh.G wrote:absolutely,there is no word to quit materialism in spirituality...Lord Krishna advocated the bhagawat gita to Arjuna, in the middle of the battlefield.Yudhishtira was crowned the king after the war and they performed the Rajasuya in all pomp and glory...In the midst of extreme pleasures and extreme adversities when one can remain composed...calm then that equal vision is spirituality...this the meaning of the word 'samadhi'..where u r not elated by gains not crushed by falls..where nothing in the world can rob you of your smile..as my guru has said..that is spirituality..being detached, upholding your duties and righteousness..u can enjoy anything and everything within your own limits such that your mind is not thrown out of its balance, its self centeredness.
hi santhosh, materialism is a tricky horse to ride :) but other than that I have to agree with you.

love,

sunmystic

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:50 pm

On reading the original message in this thread it was about materialism vs spiritualism.  And I think perhaps the materialism focus should be considered.  If we focus on the material world to the exclusion of the spirit we become worshippers of material things and the money to buy them.  While if we focus on spirit to exclusion of our material life, we are not grounded either.  Balance is certainly the key.  

We are in this earth life for a purpose.  This comment seems to me to be seeking what they should be focusing on to learn as much as possible in the earth life school.  

In Spiritualism (science, philosophy, religion) we see the triangle as the most powerful symbol of all geometry.  The reason is because it is 3 equal, balanced sides.  And we can see this as representing Spiritualism in its 3 aspects, and ourselves as body, mind, spirit in balance of 3.  It has many references to balance.
God bless, J

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:38 pm

spiritalk wrote:On reading the original message in this thread it was about materialism vs spiritualism.  And I think perhaps the materialism focus should be considered.  If we focus on the material world to the exclusion of the spirit we become worshippers of material things and the money to buy them.  While if we focus on spirit to exclusion of our material life, we are not grounded either.  Balance is certainly the key.  

We are in this earth life for a purpose.  This comment seems to me to be seeking what they should be focusing on to learn as much as possible in the earth life school.  

In Spiritualism (science, philosophy, religion) we see the triangle as the most powerful symbol of all geometry.  The reason is because it is 3 equal, balanced sides.  And we can see this as representing Spiritualism in its 3 aspects, and ourselves as body, mind, spirit in balance of 3.  It has many references to balance.
In science three is self balancing as is five. Which is why windmills normally have three blades. Other numbers have to be perfectly balanced or they become unstable at high RPMs and fly apart.

And I agree with you that one's focus should be on the Spirit not on material things. One can have both, but darn that seems to me that that would be really tricky. I have spent my whole life being non materialistic and have nothing but a loving wife. So actually I really have no experience with materialistic and spiritualistic at the same time. :) and should probably not be posting :)

love,

sunmystic

santhosh.G

Post by santhosh.G » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:58 pm

exactly...dharma,artha,kama and moksha form the purusharthas..all the 4 limbs are important.

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:12 pm

santhosh.G wrote:exactly...dharma,artha,kama and moksha form the purusharthas..all the 4 limbs are important.
:) one does reach a point where these four become one and nolonger have meaning. At that point one begins to study the Divine as one of the Divine.

love,

sunmystic

Return to “Spirituality”