BUDDHIST WISDOM

Spiritual mysticism for mystics and magical topics of any kind.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

BUDDHIST WISDOM

Post by Pravin Kumar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Kutadanta accused the Buddha: "I am told that you teach the law of life and the way, yet you tear down religion. Your followers despise rituals and abandon sacrifices. But reverence for the gods can only be shown through sacrifices. The very nature of religion is that of worship and sacrifice." The Buddha replied: "Greater than the massacring of bullocks is the sacrifice of self. He who offers up his evil desires will see the uselessness of slaughtering animals at the altar. Blood has no power to cleanse, but the giving up of harmful actions will make the heart whole. Better than worshiping gods is following the ways of goodness."

- Digha Nikaya

Develop a meditation that is like water. Doing this, you will find that the thoughts and impressions that possess you will flow away. Just as people wash away their body liquids, their sweat and spittle, pus and blood, and yet the water is not troubled or disgusted--so this water meditation will bring you peace.

- Majjhima Nikaya

But I say and I protestdon't stop your quest while anything further remains to be discovered or done. What further needs to be done? You must train yourselves, saying: 'We will become unsullied in our conduct, brilliant and pure. We will neither exalt ourselves nor look down on anyone else.'

- Digha Nikaya

Since the old days, it is said that "anger is the fire in one's mind that burns away all of one's virtuous deeds." Anger should be absolutely surrendered.

- Jae Woong Kim, "Polishing the Diamond"

More Buddhism Quotes >>

Skillful speech not only means that we pay attention to the words we speak and to their tone but also requires that our words reflect compassion and concern for others and that they help and heal, rather than wound and destroy.

- Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, "Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness
For detailed palm reading and spiritual guidance Consult at: pravinjsoni97@hotmail.com

Return to “Spirituality”