Rama Navami is coming up on 15th April 2016

Spiritual mysticism for mystics and magical topics of any kind.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Jayashree Ravi

Rama Navami is coming up on 15th April 2016

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:16 pm

Almost anyone who has interest in Hinduism would know of the monkey god Hanuman. Sri Ram is his lord, the slayer of Ravana, and the husband of Sita! April 15th 2016 happens to be the birthday of Lord Rama.

JAI SHRI RAM.
Attachments
Sri Rama.jpg
Sri Rama.jpg (857.54 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:09 am

Sister,

Why does Hinduism regard the birthday of Lord Rama as being worthy of celebrating?

And why is it celebrated every April 15th?

What is the special significance to devotees of the Hindu religion of the god Hanuman appearing to them in the shape of a monkey?

Learning something new every day,

EoT  :smt024

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:55 pm

Why does Hinduism regard the birthday of Lord Rama as being worthy of celebrating?

EoT ji, it is very much like celebrating Christmas, the birth of Jesus Christ.

Sri Rama is said to have 16 wonderful qualities and is termed as 'Maryada purushottam'. These are the virtuous qualities Rama possesses:

An ideal son to the parents.
An ideal husband to His wife.
A Good brother to his young brothers.
A Good and Ideal king to the people of His kingdom.
A good and ideal protector of Dharma.
A Good and Ideal ruler.
A good and ideal friend to vanaras.
An Ideal son in obeying the parents.
An example for morality.
So, Shri Rama is called Maryada purushottam Ram.

Celebrating Ram's birthday thus brings into memory anew every year to his devotees, the auspicious qualities and life of Ram.

And why is it celebrated every April 15th?

According to Valmiki Ramayana, Rama was born on the Tamil calendar month of Chitrai - Hindi - Chaitra (according to Vikram Samvat Hindu calendar). Vikram Samvat is the Hindu calendar that originated
about half a century before the gregorian calendar. All Hindu months are based on it. According to Ramayana, Rama was born on month Chaitra on the 9th day - called Navami. Hence,
his birthday is celebrated on this day every year. This year, this day happens to fall on 15th April. Hence Rama's birthday would be celebrated on this day in 2016.

What is the special significance to devotees of the Hindu religion of the god Hanuman appearing to them in the shape of a monkey?

None that I am aware of. But my imagination says, since he is the shape of a monkey, he definitely won't have conceit regarding his looks and will be a simple being, though of extraordinary
valor, and thus praying to him in the form, will help devotees also acquire such virtues from the god.

I am not sure if my answer is right, but this is what my understanding tells me.

Cheers.
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:29 am

Sister,

I was wanting to know what your personal understanding tells you are the answers to my questions.

And as usual your response was both informative and thoughtful, even to those of our members who are not normally interested in religious teachings.

There is no wrong or right here, as I am sure that there will always be controversy and disagreements among followers of the Hindu religion about their beliefs and traditions.

If the Hindu devotees themselves cannot always agree about the answer to these questions, what hope do Westerners like myself have of getting a definite answer to them?

Cheers and thanks again,

EoT  :smt059

Return to “Spirituality”