Lesson 11. Sambandha

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Lesson 11. Sambandha

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:46 am

Sambandha: Relationships.
Relationships form the bedrock of our Human society and they are also reflected in Jyotish.
In Jyotish the relationship between Grahas should be understood to know how, two or more Grahas will interact to bring about a particular event.
There are different types of Sambandha and we will study two of these.
A) Bhaava Sambandha - Mutual placement of two grahas from each other:
I) When the two grahas are placed in Kendra to each others.
This makes them having the same speed and hence they are co-operating with each others and they are called Paraspara Kaarakas (Mutual Significators). They will try to help each other in their significations. This is same as two cars traveling in the same lane in a highway and hence they maintain the same speed as to not obstruct the movements of each others. This is said to be a good Sambandha between the two grahas.
Example:

II) When two Grahas are placed in trikona (trine) to each other.
This makes them placed in the same Tatva (of the Raashi) due to which the goal (Aayaana) of the   Grahas becomes the same and this Sambandha is also a good or auspicious one.
Example:

III) When two grahas are placed in 3/11 from each other it shows grudging co-operation between the two. The common result they promise will be achieved after initial delay.
Example:

IV) When two Grahas are placed 2/12 (dwirdwadashaa) this shows wrong timing. Depending on other factors even if the two Grahas want to co-operate, wrong timing will not allow the result to fructify.
Example:

V) Two Grahas placed 6th/8th (Shadhaasthaka) from each other show a complete mismatch between the two. They will act inimical to each other.  
Example:
This Sambandha shows the mutual working for each other or the level of co-operation between two Grahas. It does not show support or the friendship or enmity amongst them.

B) Graha Sambandha:
Sambandha between grahas are also seen to see if they are willing to act for each other.
This may be called Graha Sambandha.
I) Parivartana: Exchange of Raashi between the two Grahas is called Raashi Parivartana and exchange between Nakshatras is called Nakshatra parivartana. We will only try to know about Raashi Parivartana for now. Raashi Parivartana means one Graha is in the Raashi of another as the other one is in the first Grahas Raashi. To explain it more clearly see the following example.

In the above chart Guru is placed in the Raashi owned by Shukra and Shukra is placed in the Raashi owned by Guru. This is Parivartana. This is 100% sambandha or Poorna Sambandha. The two grahas give their mutual result right from birth as also they give each others result.

II) Yuti – conjunction: When two or more Grahas are placed in on Raashi they are said to be in Yuti Sambandha. This is also Poorna Sambandha but of a lesser degree (Say 75%).
Sometimes more than two Grahas occupy a Raashi in which case it is called Koota Sambandha. In this case the most malefic (natural) will give the result of the most benefic (natural) and vice-versa.
The standard list from the most benefic to the most malefic is-
Guru, Shukra, Strong Chandra, Budha, Weak Chandra, Surya, Ketu, Mangal, Shani and Raahu.
Example:

In this Chart Guru and Chandra are in Yuti and hence will give results of each other.
Example (Koota Sambandha):

In the above chart there is a Yooti Sambandha between Shani, Raahu and Guru. This is a Koota Sanbandha. In this case Raahu being the most malefic will give result of Guru and vice-versa whereas Shani will tend to give its own result.
Remember it is not that there is a reversal of role of the Grahas but it is just that when timing the result of a particular Graha we have to be aware of these Sambandhas.
Paraspara Drishti: Mutual aspect.
Two Grahas Aspecting each other (Graha as well as Raashi Drishti) are said to have Sambandha. Graha Drishti is stronger of the two but of lesser strength than the above two.
Graha Drishti sambandha is called Bhavishyat Sambandha (Future fruition).                      

There are other types of Sambandha between Grahas but it is for a future lesson. Till then try to apply these Sambandhas in different charts starting with your own.

vivek and RishiRahul

asro

Post by asro » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:39 am

Hi Vivek-ji and Rishi-ji

Do the advancement of the planets make in diff to the sambandha ??? for eg in case of 3/11 of the planet is on border such that it may  occupy the nxt house and may cause 2/12 combi .. thus givin dome diff in interpretation. do the cusp located planets make diff to the sambandha ??

Warmly
Asro

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:19 pm

Dear Vivek ji,
Please have a look at A(IV) and (V) in the above topic the pics are not  loading.Pleas re-load them

Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:27 pm

asro wrote:Hi Vivek-ji and Rishi-ji

Do the advancement of the planets make in diff to the sambandha ??? for eg in case of 3/11 of the planet is on border such that it may  occupy the nxt house and may cause 2/12 combi .. thus givin dome diff in interpretation. do the cusp located planets make diff to the sambandha ??

Warmly
Asro
Namaskaar,
Raashi division is the natural division of the zodiac, the Raashis are overlorded by Surya as the Dwadasa Aadityas and hence all these sambandhas are Raashi bound. Secondly there is the Tatwa (Aayaana) and the mobility (Chara, Sthira and Dwishbhaava) classifications of the Raashis. Sambandhas are a direct results of this.
Like for example you are in a room with another person (A) and both are at a distance of say two feet from each others, then there is a person (B) in an adjacent room. You are hair breadth to the wall seperating these two rooms and (B) is also hair breadth form this wall, still there is no sambandha between you and (B) because both are unaware of each others presence inspite of being closer to each other compared to the distance from (A).  
Hope this makes it clear.
Try to keep things simple and you will have a clearer vision while predicting. An village Jyotish has very little knowledge of all these factors like the angular distance between Grahas, you see an hand made horoscope rarely had all these details mentioned in it but still the village Jyotish is able to predict much better than us (inspite of all our technically sound knowledge).
RishiRahul and vivek.

asro

Post by asro » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:10 pm

HI Vivekji

Thanx for the analogy of the rooms .. it does make things simple ...

Asro

TheSaint

Post by TheSaint » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:50 pm

Two Grahas Aspecting each other (Graha as well as Raashi Drishti) are said to have Sambandha. Graha Drishti is stronger of the two but of lesser strength than the above two.
Please explain... stronger of the two but of lesser strength???

Karthikeyan

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:33 pm

TheSaint wrote:
Please explain... stronger of the two but of lesser strength???

Karthikeyan
Namaskaar Karthikeyan ji,
What was meant was that -
Graha dristhi is stronger than Raashi dristhi when looking at Sambandha between the mutually aspecting Grahas. The reason is the factor of 'deisre' caused by the Graha dristhi. It is also Bhavishyat Sambandha because it will fructify later in life.

lesser strength than above two means - Dristhi Sambandha is of lesser strength than the Parivartan and Yuti Sambandha.

Rishi Rahul and vivek.

TheSaint

Post by TheSaint » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:56 am

Obeisance to (Edited) Vivek Shetty ji and (Edited) Rishi Rahul ji,

Thanks for the reply, I will have to go over the lesson once again. I am catching up with all the former lessons and they are really good with some good questions being asked. (I have to say that Mr. Raman Deep Singh's questions/answers are both informative and entertaining).

It's very nice with your comprehensive approach to teaching. They greatly help in filling all the gaps.

Also, nothing needs to be said about JHora, which is the best astrology software.

I sincerely thank you both for helping all of us, and will participate in discussions when I have something to contribute.

Karthikeyan
Last edited by TheSaint on Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:57 am

Dear Karthikeyan,
I really appreciate you for going thru my questions and finding them sensible.Thank you for your compliment. I am trying to learn n understand this divine science as much as possible and in the process im happy that im able to help with my quetions.

Thanking you
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:52 pm

TheSaint wrote:Obeisance to Guru Vivek Shetty and Guru Rishi Rahul,

Thanks for the reply, I will have to go over the lesson once again. I am catching up with all the former lessons and they are really good with some good questions being asked. (I have to say that Mr. Raman Deep Singh's questions/answers are both informative and entertaining).

It's very nice with your comprehensive approach to teaching. They greatly help in filling all the gaps.

We are very fortunate to have Gurus from the SJC Lineage. I have earlier looked at courses SJC offer, but they are beyond what I could afford. Also, nothing needs to be said about JHora, which is the best astrology software.

I sincerely thank you both for helping all of us, and will participate in discussions when I have something to contribute.

Karthikeyan
Namaskaar Karthikeyan ji,
There are no Gurus in this forum least of all us. We dont fancy ourselves as Master of the subject we are trying to learn, hence please dont call us or anyone as Gurus here on this learning forum.
We are not gurus of SJC nor are we having any Gurus from the Achyuta Parampara designated for us.
It is not that we are not indebted to all the Gurus of SJC, indeed we are fortunate to have interacted with few of them and their dedication and thirst for all things Jyotish and their willingness to share is something we try to emulate. The blessings of Lord Jagannath will always be with them and we aspire to one day reach to the high level of devotion to Jyotish set by Pundit Sanjay Rath.
I (vivek)personally have a unredeemable debt to Punditji from which i never want to be free.
Till then we remain students like you.
RishiRahul and vivek

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Dear Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
Can you please explain 6-8 relationship bit elaborately.I cudnt understand what is the right nature of behaviour of planets in 6-8 relationship.

What do you mean by this sentence
"This Sambandha shows the mutual working for each other or the level of co-operation between two Grahas. It does not show support or the friendship or enmity amongst them. "

Please be bit more elaborate?

Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
Can you please explain 6-8 relationship bit elaborately.I cudnt understand what is the right nature of behaviour of planets in 6-8 relationship.

What do you mean by this sentence
"This Sambandha shows the mutual working for each other or the level of co-operation between two Grahas. It does not show support or the friendship or enmity amongst them. "

Please be bit more elaborate?

Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
Please give your understanding of Sadaashthaka Sambandha and also of the sentence quoted so that we may know where the misunderstanding lies.
We will find it easier to give a better reply.
RishiRahul and vivek.

kumar69

Does sambandahs work for nakshatras

Post by kumar69 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:08 pm

Dear Vivekji Rishirahulji

Does sambandahs work for nakshatras as well?

Regards

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:04 pm

Kumar69ji,

Sambandha means relationship. It works for Nakshatras too.

vivek and RishiRahul

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:27 am

Dear Vivek and Rahul ji,
As i said before i couldnt understand 6-8 relationship mentioned by you.
What i cudnt understand is:-
1.First you say :-"Two Grahas placed 6th/8th (Shadhaasthaka) from each other show a complete mismatch between the two. They will act inimical to each other "

This means that this is not a good combination in terms of relationship between planets.For example :- Can we consider that 6-8 relationship between a karaka of a house and lord of a house is not something good.

2.Then you said "This Sambandha shows the mutual working for each other or the level of co-operation between two Grahas. It does not show support or the friendship or enmity amongst them"

Now what does this means. This means that this relationship is almost like neutral coz neither it is friendly nor inimical(coz they dont enmity among them) but at the same time they r supportive to each other and co-operayte with each other. I actually cudnt understand the second part of your 6-8 relationship.
Please explain.

Raman

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”