Lesson. 2. The basic Alphabets of Jyotish.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Lesson. 2. The basic Alphabets of Jyotish.

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:03 pm

THE ALPHA AND THE BETAS
Learning any language is easy if we are exposed to it for a long time. Any new language that we pick up or learn is through listening and understanding and this is useful for verbal communication. For written communication it is important to learn the script and the alphabets (the building blocks of words and sentences).
We will be doing just that in this second lesson for this course.
The script of Jyotish has nine players called planets (Graha in Jyotish, pronounced Gra as in grant and ha as in hunt).
The term planet is not as per Astronomical definition. Here the seven planets of the seven weekdays plus the Ascending and descending nodes of the Moon are termed as planets or to be politically correct Graha.
These Nine Grahas are:
Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Dragon head and Dragons tail.
They are commonly referred to in Sanskrit as:
Sun is called Soorya (su as in soon, r as in rain ya as in yet), it is also referred to as Ravi (Ra as in rain and vi is pronounced as we).
Moon is called Chandra (ch as in chapel, and as in under and, ra as in rain). It is also called Soma (So is so of English and ma is muster).
Mars is called Mangal (Ma as in mug and ngle as in tingle), it is also referred to as Kuja (in south India) Ku as in cook  and ja as in jump.
Mercury is called Budha (bu as in bush and dha as in dharma.
Jupiter is called Guru, he is also called Brihaspati.
Venus is called Shukra (pronounced shook and ra as in rain
Saturn is called Shani. (Sha as in Shine and ni as in near.
Dragon’s head is called Rahu.(Ra as in Rascal, Hu as in Hook)
Dragon’s tail is called Ketu. (Ke as in Cage, tu as in took)

The backgrounds where all the scenes take place in this vast cosmic play are called the signs (the popular Sun signs). We will give the Jyotish equivalent of these.
Aries is called Mesha (May and sh as in Shine).
Taurus is Vrishabha (vri as in wring, sha as in shine and bha as in
Gemini is Mithuna (mi as in mist, th as in thank, una as in tuna)
Cancer is Kark (kar as in curb k as in cork)
Leo is Simha (sim as in simple ha as in halt.)
Virgo is Kanya (kan as in cunning ya as in yeah the American equivalent of yes)
Libra is Tula (tu as in  la as in last)
Scorpio is Vrischika (vri as in wring, s as in shine, chi as in chicken and ka as in cork.
Sagittarius is Dhanus (Dha as in Dharma  nus as in Noose)
Capricorn is Makara (Ma as in mug and ka as in come and ra as in rain)
Aquarius is Kumbha (kum as in and bha as in  )
Pisces is Meena (Mee as in me and na as in number).

The first thing that confronts a Jyotishi (Astrologer) is a chart or diagram made up of twelve compartments. Inside each compartment are certain things written. We should first understand what this chart means in our daily usage.
For example in the south India an Astrology chart will be drawn this way:

The planets are entered into it and the chart then looks like this:

We have to be able to decipher this chart or decode it and it is really very easy.
The square is a representation of the Sky and the twelve smaller squares in it are the twelve signs of the zodiac called the Rashi’s.

Actually the Zodiacal belt is cicular but it is shown as a square for a reason. We will come to that later.
It this chart the names of the Rashi (Signs) and Nakshatra Calculator are not written and are to be understood as below:

Now look at the chart given below and understand (The names of the planets in brackets are English equivalents).

This chart is akin to a photograph of the sky at the time of the birth of the person to whom the chart belongs.
Remember there are other ways of drawing this chart followed in India as well as western Astrology. We will deal with each of them at a later stage and the special properties of them.
This course will be using the above chart format and the student is advised to become familiar with the same.

From what we have learnt till now we may decode the chart as follows:
The Mesha rashi has planet Sun (Surya), Vrishabha has Budha (Mercury) and so on for the other Rashi. Some Rashi are empty because they don’t have any planets (Graha) in them.

We now know to see from the Horoscope (Chakra) which sign is tenanted by what planets.
Here we find that we have encountered a thing called the Lagna or Ascendant. We are going to learn now what this means.
Well you see this horoscope is a geocentric view of the sky, or in other words this is what the sky looked at the time of birth of this person – from the centre (core) of the earth and at the Eastern horizon the sign Kark (cancer) was climbing ( Ascending, rising). This is the starting point of the zodiac (The Zodiac is called Bhaa chakra in Sanskrit) for the person whose horoscope we are seeing.
The Natural zodiac has starting point as Mesha (Aries), but different people will be born in different signs as their Ascendant (Lagna pronounced Lug- na) and this sign will be the starting point for the horoscope.
Houses (Bhaava):
Just as Aries is the First sign for the natural zodiac (The world horoscope) so also the Lagna (Ascendant) is the first sign for each and every horoscope.
In the example chart given above, we see Kark (Cancer) is rising (Ascending) because Lagna is written in it. This means that the first house for this horoscope is Kark. The next or second house will be Leo (Simha), the third will be Virgo (Kanya) and so on. In all there will be twelve houses in the horoscope corresponding to the twelve Rashis.
Houses are called Bhaava in Sanskrit. This word requires a detailed explanation to understand what it means and we will go into it soon.
For now just keep in mind that Bhaava (Houses) show the different departments of life which defines a persons life. In other words a person has to put on different acts in front of different people. In front of his Father he is a Son and in front of his Son he is a father and so on. These are what the Bahvas are all about.

Summing up the Graha (Planets) are the co actors, the rashi is the backdrop for a scene and bhaava is the act and The Lagna is the person whose horoscope is being played out (actually it is the sense of presence of that person, the ‘I am’ feeling).
In this lesson we have been introduced to the three basic concepts of Jyotish, The Rasi, the Graha and the Bhaava. These form the bedrock of Jyotish knowledge and every learner should get familiar and at ease with these.
The details of these will be covered individually in later lessons.  

BTW the Chart shown above is Shri Ram’s chart. Traditionally, while teaching Jyotish this is the first chart used for illustration and learning.
Last edited by vivekvshetty on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vivekvshetty

questions for Lesson 2.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Q1: List out the Rashi and Bhaavas occupied by the Grahas in Sri Rama's chart.

Q2: List out the Rashis and Bhaavas occupied by the planets in your chart.

Q3: Following are the placement of Grahas in a chart.
Surya in vrischika
Chandra in Tula
Mangal in Simha
Budha in Dhanus
Guru in Mesha
Shukra in Tula
Shani in Kumbha
Rahu in Mithuna
Ketu in Dhanus
Lagna in Kumbha.

Draw a Rashi chakra from the above information.

Q4: From the following placement of Grahas draw a Rashi chakra.
Lagna in Kanya.
Surya in the eighth house.
Chandra in the fifth house.
Mangal in the ninth house.
Budha in the ninth house.
Guru in the tenth house.
Shukra in the ninth house.
Shani in the ninth house.
Rahu in the ninth house.
Ketu in the third house.

Thank you.

vivekvshetty

Diamond chart.

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:49 pm

We will now delve into other traditions of drawing a chart.
But remember that it is better to use the South Indian format first and use it to learn the basics of Jyotish, then switch over to the Diamond format (Ruled by Shukra).

The Northern parts of India draw the chart in a diamond shape format. The chart of Sri Rama is shown below in Northern India format.

In the diagram given above, the compartment where the number four is written is always the first house and the number four shows that the Rashi on Lagna is Kark (the fourth sign). Then the houses are counted anti-clockwise and the Rashi number is written in order. Thereafter the Grahas are entered as per the Rashi they occupied at the time of birth of the Native.

The following image will make this clearer:

The difference of the two ways of drawing the chart is:
1) In the South Indian format, the Rashis are fixed, whereas in the North Indian format the Houses (Bhaavas) are fixed.
2) In the South Indian chart the counting of bhaavas and Rashis are clockwise whereas, in the North Indian or the      Shukra chakra the count is anti clockwise.

Next we will deal with the East Indian tradition of drawing the chakra (wheel).

vivekvshetty

Surya chakra.

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:01 pm

In the Eastern parts of India, the Chakra is drawn as follows.

This is called the Surya chakra or the Sun wheel. In this chart the Rashi's are fixed (as in the Brihaspati chakra) but, the count is anti- clockwise. The Lagna (Ascendant) is marked just like in the south Indian chart.

Looking at the above diagram, try to draw the Rashi chart of Sri Rama in the Surya chakra format.

It is said that we should start with the South Indian chart (Brihaspati chakra), then gradually progress to the Diamond chart and finally use the Surya chakra at advanced stages of studies. This is to get the assistance of the two Gurus (teachers) in the planetary cabinate and then in the advanced stages of Sun himself.  

The Brihaspati chakra is said to be the floor plan of the Jyotish learning. The Shukra chakra is said to be the Ceiling and the Surya chakra is the open sky.
This can also be used in judging the Vaastu of any structure.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

The above Chakras

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:09 am

Regarding the 3 chakras mentioned by Vivekji:=

The theory, which is very important, has been quoted.

But personally I believe that you should stick to the method you are used to.

Personally I follow the Surya chakra or the East Indian format, and since I am used to it, I feel uncomfortable with the others.

But  for the absolutely new learners, it is their choice.

It is a matter of visual representations, about which Vivekji has explained the advantages of the different chakras.

Follow what you are comfortable with.
RishiRahul

Pravin Kumar

Surya Chakra

Post by Pravin Kumar » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:58 pm

Vivekji,

In the Surya Chakra where is the Lagna marked.

Pravin Kumar

vivekvshetty

Re: Surya Chakra

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:28 pm

Pravin Kumar wrote:

Vivekji,

In the Surya Chakra where is the Lagna marked.

Pravin Kumar
Namaskaar Pravin ji,

See the image below.

The abbrievations used are:
Sy =Surya
Ch=Chandra
Ma=Mangal
Bu=Budha
Gu=Guru
Sk=Shukra
Sa=Shani
Ra=Rahu
Ke=Ketu
Lg=Lagna
So you see that the Lagna in this chart is Kumbha.

This is how the Lagna is marked in the Surya chakra.

Pravin ji it makes me very happy to note that you have deceided to start sharing your vast knowledge and experience in Palmistry for our benefit.
Our best wishes for the Palmistry classes.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:08 am

Dear RishiRahul ji,
It is true that it is more of matter of visual comfortability to choose a chart.But i would love to understand other ways of looking at chart.Though i have learned the south indian way of drawing chart but i had no clue about East indian way of drawing chart.Thank you Vivek ji for giving a brief for this.

Though i have got late in joining this course but i am trying to catch up.I am looking forward to go thru other lessons and ask as much as possibel.I hope i wont end up annoying you people :smt002  .

The most difficult task in astrology is to get a right guru. Thank you for being the one.

Thanking you
Raman

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear RishiRahul ji,
It is true that it is more of matter of visual comfortability to choose a chart.But i would love to understand other ways of looking at chart.Though i have learned the south indian way of drawing chart but i had no clue about East indian way of drawing chart.Thank you Vivek ji for giving a brief for this.

Though i have got late in joining this course but i am trying to catch up.I am looking forward to go thru other lessons and ask as much as possibel.I hope i wont end up annoying you people :smt002  .

The most difficult task in astrology is to get a right guru. Thank you for being the one.

Thanking you
Raman

Dear Raman Deep Singh,

We would welcome anyone with n number of questions.

vivek and RishiRahul
Last edited by RishiRahul on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maheshtv

Post by maheshtv » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:05 pm

Dear Vivekji and Rahulji,

Thank you for enrolling me into the course.

I went through the first and second lessons.

I have heard of the South Indian and North Indian types of Rashi Chakra drawings but till now I have not heard of the East Indian type of drawing Rashi Chakra.  Thank you for this new information which is I think is not found in books.

Mahesh T.V.

satyamani

amendments?

Post by satyamani » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:57 am

Dear Sirs,
Is there amendments done in this or not?

Namashkaar,

In this forum discussions are carried out with those who seek registrtation for the course/ who are registered for the course.

vivek and RishiRahul

Cmoon

Post by Cmoon » Fri May 30, 2008 2:55 am

Hi. I have been learning the norrthen (diamond) style...Although it is useful to know all styles i think...Do the interpretations come out the same in each chart,or is it like the western astrology,where you can end up with planets in different houses?......
thanx....Cmoon

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Fri May 30, 2008 11:10 am

Cmoon wrote:Hi. I have been learning the norrthen (diamond) style...Although it is useful to know all styles i think...Do the interpretations come out the same in each chart,or is it like the western astrology,where you can end up with planets in different houses?......
thanx....Cmoon

Namashkaar Cmoonji,

Each chart style has its advantages which is explained in page 1 of this thread.
Chart style is a way of representing, or seeing or viewing it. Interpretations come out same, naturally, as it does not contain anything extra or less.

I Western astrology the planets come out different as it is based on 'Sayana' value of planets. I Vedic we follow 'Nirayana' values of planets. They being astronomical terms, will be dealt in other chapters.

For the present you need to know that in Western astrology the planets differ.

vivek and RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

prashanth_ram2002

Chakras Naming

Post by prashanth_ram2002 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Respected Sirs,
                      I was late for your class by almost  1 1/2 yrs.But I thank you for retainig all posts as I am able to study now.

My question is Why is the chakras named after Guru,Shukra and surya?. Which of them is effective to know the future?
    Does a person horoscope reveal his previous life times (punar janam)?

Thanking You,
      Prashanth Ram Raju
 Control your thoughts bcoz it makes what you are.

I am nothing, U are nothing, everybody is nothing

vivekvshetty

Re: Chakras Naming

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:14 am

Namaskaar Prashanth ji,
They are all effective in knowing the future and it is depending on the different regions of this vast country called India. Different regions use different chakras and if you give a north Indian chart to a Jyotish from the south he will not be able to read it and vice versa. In fact in the western region We see most Kundalis (Hand written) made in circular shape and the Bhaavas are made from joining of two semi circular lines. Can we call this Chandra chakra?
In this course we want the learners to know the different ways of drawing the chart prevalent in the country. To find the advantages of using different chakras.
Also remember that these chakras are yantras and can be used as such. we will not go into this, for it is beyond the scope of this course.

Secondly it would be better if you send a request for registering for the course, as your name will then be added to the list of students. normally we answer to queries only from registered students.

RishiRahul and vivek.

prashanth_ram2002 wrote:Respected Sirs,
                      I was late for your class by almost  1 1/2 yrs.But I thank you for retainig all posts as I am able to study now.

My question is Why is the chakras named after Guru,Shukra and surya?. Which of them is effective to know the future?
    Does a person horoscope reveal his previous life times (punar janam)?

Thanking You,
      Prashanth Ram Raju

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”