Smudging - What is 'smudging'?

A forum that offers discussions on esoteric topics like demonology, magick, encounters, witchcraft, and all things spiritual or mystical in nature.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Thank- You :)  All my feathers come from live birds that are naturally moulting too :)

ranchcat

smudging

Post by ranchcat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Thank you for an interesting introduction to "smudging".  It's a lot easier than it sounds.

:)

ncloyd

Post by ncloyd » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:24 am

Thank you very much for the info on smudging
it is very useful and helpful info
I work on this right away
a great way to clear out the negative
as I try to begin anew

Thank you so much!!!
~*~Faerycat~*~  @-{--

Copper

smudging

Post by Copper » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:06 am

Thanks for the helpful how-to!

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:25 am

This is great...my last flat needed this desperately...now i'm in a much happier place :)
Thank you!
To Err, Human
To Forgive, Divine

Ianna Leane

Post by Ianna Leane » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:15 am

Thank you very much for your helpful information.  I have read about Wicca for 8 years now, but hardly anything I've read has been about the "practice of the craft".  Most of it has just been on the Lord and Lady, Gods and Goddesses, and the Watchtowers.  I've always been scared to practice it though because as a solitarian, the "how to's" are quite intimidating.  You feel like you are just talking to yourself, and feel like an idiot because in the back of your head your thinking:  is this right, or am I serving the Gods and Goddesses with humor?
Blessed Be

greenmerlin

Post by greenmerlin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:20 pm

I was just going to say: burning herbs in a cleansing  ritual , but it seems like Gem really has it covered!

mysticvirgo

@ Ianna Leanne

Post by mysticvirgo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 am

Sister Ianna, never fear serving the Lord and Lady with humor. There are times that even They enjoy a good laugh. Look about, at some of the Creatures and the people around and tell me if YOU can't see how much They like a good laugh!

The reasoning behind many of the books on Wiccan practises , Solitary and Covenly, focus so much on Circles, the Watchtowers, the Goddess and her Consort/Mate is that these are the very FOUNDATIONS of the Craft.  New Solitares are given the freedom to create thier own traditions and New Coveners have the basis to understand the Coven's traditions.  

I was very nervous about being found out back when I first started practising the craft, afraid of the ridicule and negativity Wiccans can accrue by the 'muggles'.  If you are in a nice private secret place, you have no need to feel embarrasment.  The Goddess loves you no matter how silly you feel.  

--Bless the bees  

MysticVirgo

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu May 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Smudging is a Native spiritual tradition.  It seems to have gotten lost in the new age approach.  The ritual and items used have a special significance and meaning to the Native tradition.  And this is often lost, like many old traditions, when translated to modern practices.
God bless, J

Kabiyesi

SMUDGING

Post by Kabiyesi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 am

IN YORUBA LANGUAGE WE USED TO SAY "AGBA KO NI TAN LORI ILE" THAT IS TO SAY 'ELDERS WILL NOT PERISH ON THE EARTH" OR MORE GREASE TO YOUR ELBOW. YOUR POST ON SMUDGING IS SOMETHING TO RESEARCH MORE.
THANK YOU I APPRITIATE IT.

PRINCE OLOYINDE
PrinceOloyinde

Kabiyesi

REALITY OF OCCULT AND MAGICK

Post by Kabiyesi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:29 am

SOME PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO SEE THOSE THINGS THAT ARE INVISIBLE TO OTHERS. SOME ARE BLESSED WITH CHILDREN WHO ARE EXTRAORDINARY IN THE SENCE THAT THEY CAN WILL THINGS TO HAPPEN. I READ SOMEWHERE TOO THAT IF ONE IS PROPERLY INITIATED ONE CAN GAIN THE POWER OF SIGHT. REASON CONVINCED ME THAT SIGHT IS A GOOD STEP UP TOWARDS THE PRACTICE OF OCCULT/MAGICK ETC. THE QUESION NOW IS HOW DO ONE GAIN THE SIGHT? HOW IS ONE TRAINED TO GAIN THIS QUALITIES? CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE THROW MORE LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE AND TUTOR ME.
PrinceOloyinde

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:13 pm

If you mean clairvoyance it is a by-product of psychic awareness.  You need to begin a psychic development regime that opens all your senses and practice to hone the talents that lie within self.
God bless, J

Lady Moira

Re: REALITY OF OCCULT AND MAGICK

Post by Lady Moira » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 pm

Kabiyesi wrote:SOME PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO SEE THOSE THINGS THAT ARE INVISIBLE TO OTHERS. SOME ARE BLESSED WITH CHILDREN WHO ARE EXTRAORDINARY IN THE SENCE THAT THEY CAN WILL THINGS TO HAPPEN. I READ SOMEWHERE TOO THAT IF ONE IS PROPERLY INITIATED ONE CAN GAIN THE POWER OF SIGHT. REASON CONVINCED ME THAT SIGHT IS A GOOD STEP UP TOWARDS THE PRACTICE OF OCCULT/MAGICK ETC. THE QUESION NOW IS HOW DO ONE GAIN THE SIGHT? HOW IS ONE TRAINED TO GAIN THIS QUALITIES? CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE THROW MORE LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE AND TUTOR ME.
Continuing with what Spiritalk told you, I would also like to point out that (and quoting one my favorite movies) "if you see them, they see you"...  meaning that please be mature enough to keep a strong faith (whichever this is) because just teh same as in the physical plain, not everything is plain black and white.  there is black overcoated with white and viceversa....

A strong faith, not only in you and your abilities, but in a greater power (God, Buddha, Yvhv, Allah, Krishna, Zeus, ... and the rest of the gang) will allow you to stay in the right narrow path.  

As to developing your own skills, well...  for me, the teacher and the information came to me when I was ready for it; in the meantime... READ!  and read a LOT.  I took the time and read everything and enything on spirituality and my choice of religion I could get my paws on to start m education and strengthen my own faith...

Hope this helps.
Lady Moira
Following the right path is never easy, but along the way you will find an endless number of friends and helping hands that will support and guide you.

Evard

Smudging Sage and Smoulding a Tray

Post by Evard » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Smudging was the way the Navajo mondala cleared the spirit and aura with the role
new accord on peaceful ideal ., cleaning the spirit human aura with top sage lighted.

You blow on the sage when it's lit .. ash in a tray any chaff and unwrap the twine on
binding bundle and waft with open hand or a large feather (sacred) or paper like uh
newspaper when fireproof.. under the arms around the aura down the spirit torso n
up the crown as the person smudged may lift arms or turn around allowing circle #|
smudge #~ and avoid wafting at the goin and feet unless the full body wants spirit !
protect with the groin avoided so you don't unmind the private role of smoke at then
lower spirit near the place of 'life' native chakra. It's a practice with native and drum.

Smoulding however was the role placing object smoking like smudge in a large room in
a smoulding tray or similar and allowing altar placed with light and item (altar piece) on
premise you save the spirit of the bless ing.. cancel spirit air with smould tray smoken@
tho I don't like smould.. (it was smoky and not proper revel air spirit bless) I smudged.!

Nova

Post by Nova » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:51 am

Hello Gem,
              I do believe and practice what you said ,long time now.....and agree it dispels off negativity of any kind from anywhere...also simultaneous holy chants/mantra will multiply the benefits
Thankyou for sharing good info
Regards
Nova

Return to “Occult and Magick”