Removing adverts and Windows 10

Having a problem with your computer? Not being able to post? Not being able to register? Let the Mystic Board tech team help you.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Talia

Removing adverts and Windows 10

Post by Talia » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:56 am

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and all went well but horror all the adverts are back! I forgot how many there are and how distracting. I know that before someone was very helpful and posted about how to get rid of them, but windows 10 has undone all that. And does anything work with Microsoft Edge browser? All those targeted at me ads just make me want to buy and click lol.
Help please?

Rohiniranjan

Re: Removing adverts and Windows 10

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:08 pm

Talia wrote:Hello,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and all went well but horror all the adverts are back! I forgot how many there are and how distracting. I know that before someone was very helpful and posted about how to get rid of them, but windows 10 has undone all that. And does anything work with Microsoft Edge browser? All those targeted at me ads just make me want to buy and click lol.
Help please?
Thanks for the warning!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:01 pm

Talia,

Unfortunately there is no way to permanently remove the targeted ads.

If as I assume you are talking about those which only appear on this site between consecutive postings, you can always try to opt out of them by left clicking on the right facing triangle which says opt out.

But for this to work your web browser must be configured to accept all cookies, and you must do it with each browser  in turn. If you ever clear the browser cache including the cookies, you must repeat the process.

It might work for a few minutes, but eventually they stubbornly return and resist all your further efforts to remove them.

While I can well understand your frustration with them I want to make the important point here that it is advertising like these Chitika ones which help Swetha to keep Mystic Board financially viable.

If we hide those ads and not enough of us click on them, then the monthly  hosting fees must instead come completely out of the site owner's pocket.

The only other alternative is to charge members an annual subscription fee or ask everyone to pay for readings, which I am sure that few people who depend upon this site would want.

Swetha agrees,  so the targeted ads will stay.

EoT

Talia

Post by Talia » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks for your reply, I understand about the ads and keeping costs down. But so many of the ads seem to direct traffic away from MB and into other paid for reading sites which seems a shame. It was just such a shock when windows 10 suddenly changed it all.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Talia wrote:Thanks for your reply, I understand about the ads and keeping costs down. But so many of the ads seem to direct traffic away from MB and into other paid for reading sites which seems a shame. It was just such a shock when windows 10 suddenly changed it all.
Talia,

On a newslist I read that WX tends to default to many 'options' (whether upgraded or installed fresh) which create an autopilot state. Unlike earlier versions. Boons and banes of automation.

I hope it is not too sinful to dream of biting an apple? How much worse can it get if this is supposed to be The Garden of Eden...?  :smt010
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Talia

Post by Talia » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:07 pm

But I just had a shiny new bright white laptop, not a bit of green in sight!  It is ok I am over the shock now and busy clicking :)

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:02 pm

Talia wrote:But I just had a shiny new bright white laptop, not a bit of green in sight!  It is ok I am over the shock now and busy clicking :)
Yes, we are indeed living in *interesting* times...!

Just as the poignant ancient Chinese blessing said? :smt017
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Removing Windows 10

Post by eye_of_tiger » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:02 am

Talia,

Are you aware that for the first thirty days after you have installed Windows 10, Microsoft provides the option for you to be able to roll back to or restore your computer's previous operating system?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/ ... -or-8.html

Something to keep in mind if or when it all gets too much for you.

After the 30 days have expired, enjoy.

EoT  :smt002

Return to “Tech Forum”