'Class-divide' in Indian society

Post your thoughts and views here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Jayashree Ravi

'Class-divide' in Indian society

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:46 pm

I come from Indian society. Therefore I have exposure to a few evils in this otherwise great society. The main one being, "Class divide".

Anybody new to Indian culture will often exclaim how sharp the divide is between the 'rich' and the 'poor' in the Indian society.

The 2 classes (and the ones in-between, namely, the 'middle class' that often emulates the rich for better recognition within the society) are placed very far apart. Their ways of living (or, their 'life-style') and what society expects out of them, is very different.

What is applicable to one class, is not necessarily applicable to another, and thus, there is no uniform standard within Indian society.

From more abrupt and sharp changes such as 'divorces' to issues of lesser importance such as dressing (ability to wear Western clothes), the 2 classes are expected to behave differently - the richer and more affluent the participants are, the more 'easy going' the attitude is, and the more 'afflicted' the participant is, the expectation is to adhere 'to the norm' - behave as per standard laid out by former generations.

Even in simple standards, such as age of marriage for females, the rich are given a pardon when its perhaps more accomplished females are married-off when nearing their 30th birthday, whereas the poor are bombarded with numerous questions as to 'why the daughter isn't married when nearing 25'.

And similar issues to various situations.

Especially, the stigma associated with pursuing various professions is sharply felt by the poorer than the rich. The rich can much more easily enter the movies, the politics, etc, while the poor are often labelled debilitating terms for interest in these fields... even a teenage-girl's wish to resemble movie-stars is bad, if she is poor. She cannot cut her hair, wear Western clothes, etc. The rich are granted far more 'sanctions' along these lines...

Professions of the 'rich' such as pursuing medicine are automatically the much recognized 'Status symbols' of Indian society. Have you seen the movie, "Meet the Parents"? Ben Stiller being ridiculed for being a simple nurse by his fiance's family of doctors is an apt scenario in an Indian situation.

The above features mars the Indian society... they need to get better or 'go away'.

To the moderator: Please delete this post if this is an explosive or banned topic.
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:49 am

Jayashree,

Been there seen that!

From different angles, etc. I have experienced India differently from what you portrayed. I was there from 50s to end of 70s and like "what is the typical indian dish (as in cuisine)" our memories and impressions about *typical* India or indian might be quite different, even though we both are diaspora...?

I am near-sighted and hence tend to have a different outlook and my apologies if such are felt necessary by you or others! ;-)

At the same time, while remaining focused on my surroundings and personal realities in the west, for that is where my Karma sent me to, how can one forget the sky where I saw the sky? Clear as crystal (!) and which brought me to my memores, dreams and reflections that I have shared over time?

What ALL you chose to see and express your dislike about are the very perceptions that distort many realities?

Those are not special or specific to any nation, community, time or race...?

Simply human and in order to understand and accept the follies of our FAMILY, we first need to embrace them all...?

;-)
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Jayashree Ravi what an interesting post. All I know of India is from tv and film, SlumDog Millionaire or Bend it like Beckham or Most Exotic Marigold Hotel but I can understand why you needed to vent. Does it make any difference whether the family is in Europe or India?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Talia wrote:Jayashree Ravi what an interesting post. All I know of India is from tv and film, SlumDog Millionaire or Bend it like Beckham or Most Exotic Marigold Hotel but I can understand why you needed to vent. Does it make any difference whether the family is in Europe or India?
Categorization has been a part of indian culture as exemplified by the caste system (4 categories). It is used in indian astrology too. Probably originally created to label occupations/functions but for a long time took a horrid coloration. I am sure categorized discrimination existed and exists in other societies and cultures as well to variable extents.
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Oh yes, every culture has similar but not the same.

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:44 pm

RR ji,

First of all, I am very sorry for distorting the reality for you (or portraying a layer of dense cloud over your crystal sky of memories) :).

I agree what I have written is applicable to all nations, and entire humanity.

BUT in my perception I feel such a class divide is particularly keenly observable in India. I don't know what creates this - I am sure the extraordinary population creates a very competitive mentality for Indians, and making them very cut-throat and being born and brought-up in a similar mentality, choosing professions and educational fields where the goal is marketability over any other parameters including interests and ability, and thus living always and perpetuating for the future generations - a same set of values focused on competitive front.

Whereas in the West, as much as I have observed, due to lower population, there is not so much competition, jobs are manifold, even if you are not supremely qualified, you can do 2 jobs if you are in need for money, all this and perhaps much more unseen factors which creates the class divide a much less observable or obvious scenario. PLUS the fact that everyone chooses their own spouse, vs. arranged marriage where parents in India choose someone that matches with their economic and educational standing in society.

Talia,

I guess you are asking if it makes a difference if the Indian family is in India or Europe and if it makes any difference on their values between living in the 2 nations. In my perception, for the 1st generation, it doesn't whereas for the 2nd and 3rd generation or for naturalized 'Europeons' or 'Americans', they tend to have the same values as the rest of their Western peers.
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Astrologically speaking, I have a retrograde Saturn the 12th lord sitting in 4th house of homeland, so I suspect if this position creates some sort of antagonism against my homeland!

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:48 pm

where Saturn is (and its astrological dimensionalities-attributes) represents important lessons. However, one must then act or can end up getting frustrated and even feel bitterness. Hopefully generic observation is helpful B-)
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “General Discussion”