Staying optimistic

Post your suggestions here to improve the board, and to get solutions to different site problems.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Talia

Staying optimistic

Post by Talia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:28 pm

I am getting so frustrated with the current amount of advertising spam. They all follow the same marketing technique - asking a question then posting a link advertising a service or sales site.

Now, I know that our EOT does a brilliant job removing stuff but why is it there on view in the first place? Why not outside links in first posts?

It actually puts me off, I scan the list of posts to see if there are any that are real and worth reading. SO, I bet it must put others off too.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:56 am

Dear Talia,

Thanking you and our other valued regular helpers on Mystic Board for your ongoing support, and for helping me to keep the forums free of this recent explosion of spam and illegal free advertising.

However since many of this trouble makers are only doing this because they crave for our attention and actually enjoy terrorising and upsetting as many of us as possible, I would recommend that we should all instead ignore and feel sorry for them not having anything better to do, and not having any other real sense of purpose in their lives beyond this.

I will continue to edit or remove the spam and advertising, deactivate their accounts and ban them. We will progressively and methodically work closely together and deprive or starve them of the attention which they are wanting from us, and focus our efforts and optimism on what or who is really of any importance. That is our relationships with other genuine members of this community, who are here like ourselves for all the right reasons.

One thing I will ask everyone to do for me as a favour is never to respond in any way to their postings, either through the forums or through private messages. This will only encourage them to do more trouble making.

In my opinion, enough has already been said about these attention addicts and digital terrorists, to last me an entire life time.

What about you?

They are simply no longer worth our attention and energy (if they were ever worthy of either, which is doubtful).

EoT :smt052 :smt052 :smt052 :smt052 :smt052

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:17 am

Attention yes, and pay per click, but I have taken a deep sigh of patience and will move on, you must spend so much time clearing all this junk out, shame, think of all that energy you would have to spare, but thank-you, I wonder is it worse because we are at opposite time frames so I see what you haven't seen yet? But that would need us to spend more time thinking about this, so sorry, forget it lol.  :)

Merry Christmas Ho Ho Ho!

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:40 pm

While it is true that the time zone difference could mean that you will see their nuisance posts before I do when I log onto MB during our mornings, I have recently increased my number of visits per day to the site across multiple devices, in order to compensate for the huge increase in illegal traffic.

In this way I hope to significantly reduce the time that their postings can be viewed, before they are removed.

Stay strong,

EoT

Talia

Post by Talia » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:29 am

I feel sad now, I didn't mean to add to your pressure, I realised by the time that you are 12 hours in front of me (What is today like? Lol) You need to get some of the other moderators on active duty, spread the workload.

This may be a Christmas fluke of ne members wanting to post links for cash but it may go on and that is not  fair.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

An update

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:44 am

Dear Talia,

As well as visiting the site several times every day and night, your friendly admin has still fairly recently (December 23rd, 2015) changed the new member registration process in several ways, which when used together actively discourage and filter out well over 95% of the extreme level of spamming, which we all had to put up with when your complaint was posted.

How are we doing?

Affectionately yours,

EoT  Image

Talia

Post by Talia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:51 am

Well...

Brilliantly!

so far I haven't had any need to moan about spam at all, and you all know how I like to moan,

:smt018  :smt003

but also,

whatever the change was then it seems to have worked really well

Thanks   :smt023

Return to “Recommendations and Complaints”